Thread: LV Router inlay tool

LV Router inlay tool

I’ve been playing with stringing using the LV router plane inlay cutters...the one with the various disks to set the thickness. I have lightly honed the blades, but on the flat side only.

LV instructions recommends trying to do the cut with one pass. It says it is difficult to get the cutters to follow the same lines with multiple passes. I’m finding that the one pass attempt (even at the very shallow depth needed) causes tear out on the edges...especially cross grain cuts.

A couple of very shallow passes to scribe the lines seems to be better. Do others have the same experience? Or are my cutters just not sharp enough? Of course I know one answer is just do what works for you, and I will, just curious if there are any tips out there to get a real clean line.

Thanks!

Well, I didn't read the LV instructions so I guess I didn't use the proper method. I made light scoring passes first and heavier cuts last. The blades followed the scribe cuts perfectly. Not the first time I've been successful, not knowing I was doing it wrong.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Sometimes things must be done wrong to get it right.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)