Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blasphemy! Another Glowforge Post!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    No problem Chase. That is correct -- FSL has RetinaEngrave 3D, which is a true print driver. You simply print from your CAD software. Lightburn, which is really coming along, would be worth looking into if you end up leaning toward a machine with a Chinese controller/software. The developer is regularly adding functionality and support for more cards.
    Duly noted. Thank you very much.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Another thing to think about is do you want a rotary to do round stuff. Get one that has enough depth to accommodate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Another thing to think about is do you want a rotary to do round stuff. Get one that has enough depth to accommodate that.
    That's the thing, I really don't know. The laser will be used solely for hobby work, like advanced arts and crafts essentially. I can't think of anything off the top of my head I'd use it for, but probably a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    That's the thing, I really don't know. The laser will be used solely for hobby work, like advanced arts and crafts essentially. I can't think of anything off the top of my head I'd use it for, but probably a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks!
    I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but some of the el-cheapo 3d printers have a laser head (or can be converted to have a crappy one pretty cheaply - http://www.instructables.com/id/Conv...AVER-Under-40/). Its not actually useful for anything real past putting some not-to-deep marks on stuff.... but I've been considering doing that as a toe-in-the-water. You can get some of the 3d printers that ~mostly~ work for around $200-300 dollar range (Anet A8 & friends). They do take a bit of fiddling and hand holding but it seemed like it might be an interesting way to learn how this stuff works before springing for a "real" system.

Again this isn't something that I'd use for more than a toy.. but its a cheap way to stick your toe in the water.

THE most appealing thing about GF was size. Pictures and videos made it seem very small. That's kind my buying point I think.
    ... now that I think about it, that's really the only reason I entertained GF
    Just a few more options for you in that small size range machines...

Versalaser from Universal, 12" x 16" or 12" x 24" working area (in the small sizes)
    https://www.ulsinc.com/products/platforms/vls2-30

Epilog Zing, 12" x 16" or 12" x 24"
    https://www.epiloglaser.com/products...ser-series.htm

Trotec Rayjet 50, 12" x 18"
    http://www.rayjetlaser.com/en-US-US/...engraving.aspx

Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I'm probably going to get slammed for this, but some of the el-cheapo 3d printers have a laser head (or can be converted to have a crappy one pretty cheaply - http://www.instructables.com/id/Conv...AVER-Under-40/). Its not actually useful for anything real past putting some not-to-deep marks on stuff.... but I've been considering doing that as a toe-in-the-water. You can get some of the 3d printers that ~mostly~ work for around $200-300 dollar range (Anet A8 & friends). They do take a bit of fiddling and hand holding but it seemed like it might be an interesting way to learn how this stuff works before springing for a "real" system.

Again this isn't something that I'd use for more than a toy.. but its a cheap way to stick your toe in the water.
    Likely the most dangerous garbage on the market, 445nm blinds permanently for fun and gives no second chances. The mechanism for damage from 445 is 20x that of a CO2 laser (Based on photon energy)
    The eye will focus any strays onto the macula lutea making the damage non fixable (unlike a cheap shot from a co2 that burns the eye lens)

I cannot in all honesty slate these 445's enough, they are dreadful ,dangerous garbage that should be purged from the laser community

On the GF Chase?

@$2,000 probably worth a punt as you only want it for giggles, @$4,000 not a hope
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    I initially looked at the gf for a couple of days. Then with just a little research, abandoned the thought. My initial machine that I priced was a ray fine 500x900 unit at about $3000 with a rotary and shipping. So about $3500 with customs. I upgraded to larger machine. Not too much over $5k. No way would I even think about a gf. No way.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    If the OP is looking at spending about $5k, the is a Universal VersalLaser VL-300 with honeycomb and rotary on that auction place starting at $5999.
    Might be a good option. and priced about right

Howard Garner

Thanks, everyone! Most of you have it right, this is really just a toe in the water, I wanna mess around kinda purchase. Thanks as well to everyone who is suggesting alternative machines!

If you're the handy type, you might consider a K40. $300 is pretty cheap to get into a CO2 based laser, and from what I've seen the K40 is miles better a 5w laser diode attached to a 3d printer.

Thanks, everyone! Most of you have it right, this is really just a toe in the water, I wanna mess around kinda purchase. Thanks as well to everyone who is suggesting alternative machines!
    When you have this Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2/Fiber Laser, why would you want a Chinese machine? I had a diode laser engraver and it was a big disappointment and as Dave said you need to have protective glasses on ALL the time its in operation.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-09-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    When you have this Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2/Fiber Laser, why would you want a Chinese machine? I had a diode laser engraver and it was a big disappointment and as Dave said you need to have protective glasses on ALL the time its in operation.
    I keep eye protection on at all times regardless, Booth policy where I work.

I'm entertaining a cheapo laser strictly just to mess with because the epilog is not mine, it belongs to the company I work for, I just happen to be the only one here who knows how to use it. Sometimes I'm allowed to do my own stuff off company time, but I'd rather have my own hobby style laser, that way if something breaks, it's not the Epilog on my dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Just a few more options for you in that small size range machines...
    Trotec Rayjet
    I was quoting this machine /thinking about very particular job/ at 2017 from official seller and answer was:
    "A NEW Rayjet 30W machine including Out to Air extraction, delivery , installation and training would come to €11,995 + VAT" what makes over 18k $. Ouch.... Totally different range of prices, over 3.5 times of mentioned 5k$.
    It was in Europe, so no TAX duties. Samples what they make was ugly, but probably they won't know what they should to do... I have to visit them and do my own to know what is possible.
    Red & Black KH-7050 / 80W EFR F2 / "24mm" head with lens 20/mirror 25mm / extended working area 720x510 | Foison vinyl cutter 2FT wide | Was working on Epilog, Mimaki, Mutoh, Roland, Graphtec, CNCs, laminators etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Wojciech Szul View Post
    I was quoting this machine /thinking about very particular job/ at 2017 from official seller and answer was:
    "A NEW Rayjet 30W machine including Out to Air extraction, delivery , installation and training would come to €11,995 + VAT" what makes over 18k $. Ouch.... Totally different range of prices, over 3.5 times of mentioned 5k$.
    It was in Europe, so no TAX duties. Samples what they make was ugly, but probably they won't know what they should to do... I have to visit them and do my own to know what is possible.
    I can't speak for European pricing, but I can assure you that the machine listed isn't $18,000 in the US.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I can't speak for European pricing, but I can assure you that the machine listed isn't $18,000 in the US.
    Trotecs are expensive over here Scotty, the Speedy 300 usually runs around $38,000 to $40,000
    You did what !