Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blasphemy! Another Glowforge Post!

Blasphemy! Another Glowforge Post!

Alright Y'all, please don't rake me over the coals for this, but I'm considering a GF..
    Lets just assume I know what I'm doing here and burning my house down is unlikely since that seems to be a major talking point. I work with an epilog 5 days a week, and lately I've wanted to start making my own stuff with it, nothing for sale or anything, just want to make gifts for my lady and family, simple engravings on wood or anodized dog tags would likely be it. Purely for pleasure. Not gonna lie, the price is a big factor. Realistically I'm 6months to a year before I make a purchase. I just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the machine itself, and if it really is one of those products that even someone with experience should just completely avoid. Also taking suggestions
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Have you read the bazillion post thread about GF? Doesn't that give you all the info you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Have you read the bazillion post thread about GF? Doesn't that give you all the info you need?
    I have, yes. Including the ongoing one. My issue with them, however, is that most of the concerns seem to stem from the CEO being shady, or it being marketed towards people that don't know the potential dangers. Should have worded my question differently maybe. I guess in your opinion is the device itself worth it? or is there something else similar in price range and size(maybe even smaller) that I should consider?

The thing that I'm not understanding is, aside from marketing and vaporware software, what does Glowforge bring to the table? Low price? The FSL Muse starts at $5,000, same as the Glowforge basic (w/ a filter)

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    The thing that I'm not understanding is, aside from marketing and vaporware software, what does Glowforge bring to the table? Low price? The FSL Muse starts at $5,000, same as the Glowforge basic (w/ a filter)
    Personally, it was price, size, and ease of use if I ever wanted to show my family or something how to operate it. They also offer that booklet thing of designs and instructions which is kinda neat

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Personally, it was price, size, and ease of use if I ever wanted to show my family or something how to operate it. They also offer that booklet thing of designs and instructions which is kinda neat
    You need to go back and do some searching here and research else where on the Glow Forge versa a standard co2 laser. Is it worth it?? Honestly? You decide, If your just wanting attention just keep posting.
    Last edited by Bill George; 03-06-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    You need to go back and do some searching here and research else where on the Glow Forge versa a standard co2 laser. Is it worth it?? Honestly? You decide, If your just wanting attention just keep posting.
    I'm not sure where the whole attention thing came from, seems a bit rude. Thanks for the relative reply.

I have, yes. Including the ongoing one. My issue with them, however, is that most of the concerns seem to stem from the CEO being shady, or it being marketed towards people that don't know the potential dangers. Should have worded my question differently maybe. I guess in your opinion is the device itself worth it? or is there something else similar in price range and size(maybe even smaller) that I should consider?
    Just my opinion (and I'm not going to argue with anyone about my statements, they are my opinion and I don't feel the need to defend them) - If you want a laser that you can use easily and show someone else how to use easily, then the way the GF is *supposed* to work might make it a good consideration. However, the reality is that you aren't going to get all of the functionality that the marketing hype would have you believe. If you want a laser that is available now and does what it is supposed to do, then buy a Trotec. If that's out of your price range then you can get a reasonable amount of functionality from a Chinese machine, you just have to know the limitations. Search here for recommendations, there are plenty of decent machines available - there is plenty of crap too so avoid ebay and amazon.

I'm not sure where the whole attention thing came from, seems a bit rude.
    I agree. There is a lot of "body part measurement" going on in the GF post, I believe this to be a preemptive strike...

Hey Chase: Unfortunately, SMC is not going to be the place for unbiased opinion on the GF. I suspect you've already read through, at least some of the thread here, but you can add Rabbit, Boss, FSL, etc. to your list to look at too. They have U.S. support, if that's important to you, and their entry-level machines will be in the same ballpark. Besides FSL, they will have Chinese controllers and software, so you might read up on Lightburn to consider as an option and do away with some of the idiosyncrasies. These machines won't have some of the features you mentioned, but will likely engrave and cut faster.

If you're pretty self-sufficient and able to troubleshoot/make repairs, the most bang for your buck will be to import directly from China. There's a lot of good info on SMC to keep you going.

Since you have CAD/CAM laser experience, there should not be many hurdles to be up and running. Be sure to add the cost and space for the ancillary equipment (e.g., water cooling, evac, air-assist, etc.)

Hope that helps.

I have a slightly different take on this--

I haven't read every single post in every thread about the Glowforge. But I'm pretty sure that, at the very least, 99% of us who've put forth our opinions of them on these pages, me included-- don't own one. This is not to say the negative press isn't justified, just pointing out a simple fact.

That said, you're looking for another laser, and a GF costs about $5000-- to start...

This is my Triumph on day one, right after offloading it from the U-haul trailer I had to rent to get it home from the storage company...
    trinew.jpg

-behind the thing are 4' x 8' sheets of styro-board, gives you an idea of the size--

This was as plain jane no-frills as they come: came with a non-moving solid table (which actually became a big bonus), 80 watt RECI, a 3000 water 'cooler' (not refer), a blower, air assist diaphragm pump, and some spare mirrors. I bought it simply as a test to see if I could make use of it lasering SS and anodized, among other things.

-I really don't use it all that much, yet this thing has probably paid for itself 20x over since I got it in Dec 2013.

-- and the machine, accessories, shipping, duties, storage, brokers fees-- total price to my door came to less than $5k...

Not saying you should buy a Triumph, but I AM saying, it IS one of the many, MANY other options out there, that are proven workhorses and come with much less baggage
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Hey Chase: Unfortunately, SMC is not going to be the place for unbiased opinion on the GF. I suspect you've already read through, at least some of the thread here, but you can add Rabbit, Boss, FSL, etc. to your list to look at too. They have U.S. support, if that's important to you, and their entry-level machines will be in the same ballpark. Besides FSL, they will have Chinese controllers and software, so you might read up on Lightburn to consider as an option and do away with some of the idiosyncrasies. These machines won't have some of the features you mentioned, but will likely engrave and cut faster.

If you're pretty self-sufficient and able to troubleshoot/make repairs, the most bang for your buck will be to import directly from China. There's a lot of good info on SMC to keep you going.

Since you have CAD/CAM laser experience, there should not be many hurdles to be up and running. Be sure to add the cost and space for the ancillary equipment (e.g., water cooling, evac, air-assist, etc.)

Hope that helps.
    Thank you! I appreciate the advice. Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that Rabbit and Boss have Chinese controllers and software, while FSL does not? And if so, what puts them in the same category? Just price at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Just my opinion (and I'm not going to argue with anyone about my statements, they are my opinion and I don't feel the need to defend them) - If you want a laser that you can use easily and show someone else how to use easily, then the way the GF is *supposed* to work might make it a good consideration. However, the reality is that you aren't going to get all of the functionality that the marketing hype would have you believe. If you want a laser that is available now and does what it is supposed to do, then buy a Trotec. If that's out of your price range then you can get a reasonable amount of functionality from a Chinese machine, you just have to know the limitations. Search here for recommendations, there are plenty of decent machines available - there is plenty of crap too so avoid ebay and amazon.
    I think I'm probably going to abandon the GF idea. Thank you for the tips, this forum has definitely shown me to play it safe and stay off ebay lol

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that Rabbit and Boss have Chinese controllers and software, while FSL does not? And if so, what puts them in the same category? Just price at that point?
    No problem Chase. That is correct -- FSL has RetinaEngrave 3D, which is a true print driver. You simply print from your CAD software. Lightburn, which is really coming along, would be worth looking into if you end up leaning toward a machine with a Chinese controller/software. The developer is regularly adding functionality and support for more cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I have a slightly different take on this--

I haven't read every single post in every thread about the Glowforge. But I'm pretty sure that, at the very least, 99% of us who've put forth our opinions of them on these pages, me included-- don't own one. This is not to say the negative press isn't justified, just pointing out a simple fact.

That said, you're looking for another laser, and a GF costs about $5000-- to start...

This is my Triumph on day one, right after offloading it from the U-haul trailer I had to rent to get it home from the storage company...
    trinew.jpg

-behind the thing are 4' x 8' sheets of styro-board, gives you an idea of the size--

This was as plain jane no-frills as they come: came with a non-moving solid table (which actually became a big bonus), 80 watt RECI, a 3000 water 'cooler' (not refer), a blower, air assist diaphragm pump, and some spare mirrors. I bought it simply as a test to see if I could make use of it lasering SS and anodized, among other things.

-I really don't use it all that much, yet this thing has probably paid for itself 20x over since I got it in Dec 2013.

-- and the machine, accessories, shipping, duties, storage, brokers fees-- total price to my door came to less than $5k...

Not saying you should buy a Triumph, but I AM saying, it IS one of the many, MANY other options out there, that are proven workhorses and come with much less baggage
    That was a well thought out reply. I believe we share some of the same opinions.
    I would love a triumph, I really would, my only hangup is size. THE most appealing thing about GF was size. Pictures and videos made it seem very small. That's kind my buying point I think.
    ... now that I think about it, that's really the only reason I entertained GF