Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Quiet backup generator?

I commented way back when this thread first started that I installed my own used Kohler standby generator for around $3,000 or so. I have electricity again about 30 seconds after an outage. I have not had an outage longer than seconds since I put in the generator. I think part of the reason for no outages is because the city has required underground utilities for 40+ years. Most of the city was built after underground was required.

Brian, the city was very wise in that decision because weather is what it is. Any outages you have now are probably mostly attributable to equipment failure somewhere on the grid rather than the ever-popular lines down situation that so much of the rest of the country "enjoys". Every time I'm in Florida, I marvel at how much of the infrastructure is aerial...given the propensity for large, destructive storms to pass through. While there are many new developments in this particular area that have underground utilities, it doesn't help because the supply is all aerial.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The 20-40kw generators running on propane or natural gas will make noise at about the level of a pickup truck idling. Its not that quiet if you're 15 feet away with the windows open, but if you're in a neighborhood where house spacing is is decently far, it won't be something that bothers your neighbors. Its quite a bit more quiet than a lawnmower. I have to open the window to hear if my generator is still running even though its only 8 feet from the window. Don't miss this awesome article which provide a great description of propane generators. I can personally advice the Champion brand, they are durable

There are also ways to baffle sound for a residential generator setup to reduce direct, line of sight sound transmission. This can be part of a thoughtful installation where a combination of location, ground contour, vegetation and barriers like fencing can be employed to do the job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In Florida I bet underground wiring would be underwater so more likely to fail then up in the air. There is a reason houses in Florida do not have basements.
    Bill D.