Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Absolute wealth of techniques in this video for any project."

"Absolute wealth of techniques in this video for any project."

The title is a comment made by one of the video viewers:

https://youtu.be/CP36Rp18ovA?t=3m17s

Simon

Wow...that was painful. I stopped at the bridle joints

My heart was in my mouth as he cut those on the tablesaw.

This type of video should be a lesson in how never to do woodworking! Dangerous and seriously lacking in skills.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I struggled to make it past the initial effort to purposely cause kickback by running un-milled material across a tablesaw. Please . . . use a bandsaw for ripping unprepared stock.

I did bookmark it to share with anyone asking about how to cause an "accident" in the shop.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-06-2018 at 8:39 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

[QUOTE=glenn bradley;2785856]

I cringed at holding small blocks by hand at the drill press.

I had to stop at 6:40 or so when he started feeding 3" X 1" X 1" pieces of wood vertically through the table saw. Up until then I thought he was Darwin Award wannabe. I was sure I could think of stupider ways to use his tools. That episode convinced me he is a gold medalist in waiting and that he probably had experimented with every possible way to injure himself with power tools.

[QUOTE=John K Jordan;2785871]
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

I cringed at holding small blocks by hand at the drill press.
    Using a Forstner bit no less. Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I had to stop at 6:40 or so when he started feeding 3" X 1" X 1" pieces of wood vertically through the table saw. Up until then I thought he was Darwin Award wannabe. I was sure I could think of stupider ways to use his tools. That episode convinced me he is a gold medalist in waiting and that he probably had experimented with every possible way to injure himself with power tools.
    Not to mention that his fingers were not only well inside the danger zone but literally just inches away from the mitre saw's spinning blade every time he held a small workpiece to the fence with his bare fingers.

He would not know what he has been doing wrong...he has been showered with positive comments from his viewers who apparently are either as ignorant or as invincible as he.

He has been playing multiple Russian roulettes in his shop.

Simon

I struggled to make it past the initial effort to purposely cause kickback by running un-milled material across a tablesaw. Please . . . use a bandsaw for ripping unprepared stock.

I did bookmark it to share with anyone asking about how to cause an "accident" in the shop.
    Judging from his shop behavior with other power tools, wouldn't you think he would use a bandsaw in a way that we will never try?

Simon

Simon, John Heisz has been around for many, many years. He's not a new hack that just started a YT channel. Yeah, some of his techniques are butt-clenching to put it mildly but he's repeatedly says that he understand the risks and that he's comfortable with himself around his tools. He's 100% know the danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    He's 100% know the danger.
    Does his audience know that, too?

By the way, doing the same dangerous things (in plural) in a shop over and over again does not reduce the chances of a serious shop incident from happening. You can't predict or control how the machine or stock (dressed or undressed) will react the next time you don't follow the basic shop safety rules.

Simon

Wow.... Just wow.... Im amazed this guy still has all his fingers. I bet he's had some close ones over the years. And of course hes got over half a million subscribers to LOTS of other people out there can learn his bad and unsafe practices!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    He's 100% know the danger.
    Maybe he does - although given the ubiquity of dangerous cuts in that video, I rather doubt he actually understands the risks he's taking. But even if he does, promoting those techniques as a way of promoting himself is utterly irresponsible. If he's a well known and followed "instructor" on youtube, then what he shows comes with an implied, but substantial endorsement of correctness. Knowing you're doing something wrong doesn't make it less wrong. Promoting it as right does make it more wrong, though.

Actually thats a good point! A video like this could be a good tool to use as a test for new woodworkers to watch and see if they can catch all the things he's doing wrong or unsafely.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Again, he understands the risks. He's made handful (hah!) of videos explaining what kickbacks are, why it happens, what HE DOES to keep himself safe, etc. etc. etc. He's documenting how he builds the clamp--it's literally in the video title. The long-time viewers does know, but those that just see his latest videos are understandably freaking out. If John Heisz has to put a disclaimer each time he make a cut, then his video would simply be filled with warnings every 5 seconds.

I mean... it's very similar to watching another great channel called "Tips from a Shipwright". The guy puts out videos of himself and his assistants hand making boats--it's his trade for 50 years or so, probably, so he know various techniques with power tools that'd give us nightmares. Yet he can do things like use a circular saw without a guard to hand cut a long board to size, because he is comfortable with it and has proven to have done it for years.

At the end of the day, it's really up to us to understand what's safe and proper, and what we can handle.