Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
Thanks Edwin. I didn't know of this technique, but it sure looks safer to me. It reminds me of the "10 million dollar Stick" I bought recently and find useful.

I'd add a 4th option to making the cut your pictures show: use a hand saw, like a Dozuki or a Backsaw. For me, that works very well. For others, YMMV.

Fred
Fred, that's a nice safety accessory. I hadn't seen it before, but yes, it's an improved variation on the same principle I was showing in the one photo. I can see it was primarily designed for use at a miter saw, which is good because miter saw blades with negative hook designs have a tendency to grab. This work holder keeps your hand safely away from the blade and takes no additional time to use. Might be a little long for use on a table saw sled.

Not related to your post, but I was taught it's good practice to let the miter saw blade come to a stop in the down position so the spinning blade cannot catch the workpiece or the offcut on the way up.

Another thing I do often is hold small or odd parts for cutting on a table saw sled with a temporary fence hot glued in the field of the sled. You can screw on a toggle clamp for a hold down, or just use the holding stick.
Edwin