Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Absolute wealth of techniques in this video for any project."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    Again, he understands the risks. He's made handful (hah!) of videos explaining what kickbacks are, why it happens, what HE DOES to keep himself safe, etc. etc. etc. He's documenting how he builds the clamp--it's literally in the video title. The long-time viewers does know, but those that just see his latest videos are understandably freaking out. If John Heisz has to put a disclaimer each time he make a cut, then his video would simply be filled with warnings every 5 seconds.

I mean... it's very similar to watching another great channel called "Tips from a Shipwright". The guy puts out videos of himself and his assistants hand making boats--it's his trade for 50 years or so, probably, so he know various techniques with power tools that'd give us nightmares. Yet he can do things like use a circular saw without a guard to hand cut a long board to size, because he is comfortable with it and has proven to have done it for years.

At the end of the day, it's really up to us to understand what's safe and proper, and what we can handle.
    I get your point, and that you're a long time viewer/fan of his, but don't you think this practice is a disservice to a novice who could only conclude that these practices are sound for everyone? Some of what's going on in that video is not just dangerous, but recklessly dangerous.

I've taken some hands on woodworking classes with well known instructors and what I've noticed them doing is "dialing up" their own personal safety precautions during the class to set a safe example to the students. I realized this when I got to class early one morning and the visiting instructor was prepping some parts, working much faster and closer to blades than he was doing when the class was present and watching. I thought this was super responsible.

To work dangerously under the justification of one's experience is one thing, but to demonstrate it to others for imitation is another.
    Safety is non-negotiable in woodworking.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-06-2018 at 1:03 PM.

Is he the one that made the kickback video. Holding a piece if wood with a push block to intentionally turn it into the back of the blade. A very dumb thing to do.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    At the end of the day, it's really up to us to understand what's safe and proper, and what we can handle.
    And it is the responsibility of a teacher to never lose sight of what his or her pupils can handle. This guy has set himself up as a teacher, and is therefore irresponsible, as he clearly either doesn't know or doesn't care that he is instructing people to do things that are inherently dangerous.

I would apply the following test to anything I would demonstrate on a youtube channel: if you were a shop owner held morally and financially responsible for your employee's safety, would you build this technique into your production processes? If the answer is "no," then I don't see how you can justify it on a youtube channel that is likely to be viewed by thousands of untrained individuals who may well mimic your techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I would apply the following test to anything I would demonstrate on a youtube channel: if you were a shop owner held morally and financially responsible for your employee's safety, would you build this technique into your production processes? If the answer is "no," then I don't see how you can justify it on a youtube channel that is likely to be viewed by thousands of untrained individuals who may well mimic your techniques.
    That sure is a reasonable test.

The last place I worked was pretty lenient with staff misconduct (being late for work. etc.), but when it came to shop safety, it had zero tolerance. Not only that, every minor incident had to be recorded and reported...the safety culture there was etched into your mind. Elsewhere, I know some industrial employers would fire their employees for repeated or serious safety violations.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    ...Some of what's going on in that video is not just dangerous, but recklessly dangerous...
    Come on you guys!

No guards, OMG! Some here believe it is reckless to use anything but a Sawstop table saw. And that you must never get your hands closer to the blade than a 1-foot long push stick will allow. That every single youtube video must be geared to the lowest common denominator--someone who has never run a saw.

Take a deep breath. Unclench your glutes. Watch how experienced professionals do it.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Watch how experienced professionals do it.

Youtube should create categories of woodworking videos, including:

1) Watch how experienced professionals do it.

...and

2) Watch how experienced professionals hurt themselves.

Simon

7. After watching this video, I made the following comment, "John, you're promoting many well-documented unsafe tablesaw and fixed belt sander operating practices."

What a terrific "how-not-to-do-it" video!

Watch how experienced professionals do it.
    3 minutes into the video the guy is ripping a board that is so badly cupped you could use it as a rocker. The only reason it didn't lead to a messier outcome is that his saw was too wimpy to power through the resulting bind and throw the board around. Professionals use their tools properly, and respect them.

The guy is a menace to anyone trying to learn good woodworking skills, not a professional.

He shows a clever technique for flipping boards over as they go through the planer at 3:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    He shows a clever technique for flipping boards over as they go through the planer at 3:30.
    He set the planer to cut 1/2" on each pass!

How did I know?

For him, nothing mattered -- not even shop safety -- as long as it got the job done! So, 1/2" it went.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    He set the planer to cut 1/2" on each pass!

How did I know?

For him, nothing mattered -- not even shop safety -- as long as it got the job done! So, 1/2" it went.

Simon
    I missed that part but wonder if that is possible with the planer shown. To take off 1/2” the knives would have to be extending more than that. Seems unlikely.

After reading all the comments above, l was almost afraid to watch the video. But I did. Granted he certainly puts his fingers closer to cutting blades than I would ever do. But it was as not as crazy as I was expecting. While no excuse, he was using jigs/stops to hold the material in position while doing those worrisome actions.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Come on you guys!

No guards, OMG! Some here believe it is reckless to use anything but a Sawstop table saw. And that you must never get your hands closer to the blade than a 1-foot long push stick will allow. That every single youtube video must be geared to the lowest common denominator--someone who has never run a saw.

Take a deep breath. Unclench your glutes. Watch how experienced professionals do it.

Yah, we've argued safety between the Pros and hobbyists many times and we usually don't agree. The world looks different when you do a task every day. I'm not going to try to convince a Pro that I'm right and he's wrong. But the world also looks different after you or an employee gets hurt. I know 2 Pros who have each suffered saw accidents and permanent impairment. Injuries do happen and I wish the author of that video had included a subtitle that clearly said the equivalent of "Professional driver. Don't try this at home." I think he is inadvertently misleading people into thinking what he does is safe. YMMV.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-06-2018 at 7:39 PM. Reason: Clarify
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Pretty easy to pile on here....but I liked his clamps!
    Buyers just may not know how many fingers lost their lives in the process of making them.

I’ve done some questionable things in my shop I suppose....I’m not perfect, but I use my tools safely in dangerous situations once in a while.

I like the safety squint myself for emergency eye protection...I didn’t see him employ that maneuver!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Judging from his shop behavior with other power tools, wouldn't you think he would use a bandsaw in a way that we will never try?

Simon
    Baaah-haaa-haaa-haaa!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When the rock throwers have finished, maybe you could all explain how come this guy has all of his fingers.