Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Machines into Basement

Question Lowering Machines into Basement

I'm building up my shop which is located in my basement. One issue I'm running into is how to get heavy machines (TS, Jointer, Bandsaw, etc...) into the basement.

I have an external stairwell that leads from the side yard into the basement, so this make it somewhat easier (don't have to go through the rest of the house). But what is the best way to get the machines down the stairs?

I have a 1-ton hoist that I can use to lower the machines and I was thinking I could build some sort of frame around the stairs to attach the hoist to and lower the machines that way. I was thinking that I could use something like a Grizzly H8006 1 Ton Heavy-Duty I Beam Trolley across a piece of 2 1/2" flat a36 bar stock. But I'm not sure how thick I need the bar stock to support the weight. It would probably need to go across a 15 foot span. Additionally, how big do I have to make the frame to support this? Are there resources online that people know of that can help with these calculations?

The heaviest machine would be about 700 lbs.

Any ideas? How do other people lower heavy equipment into a basement shop?

Thanks,
    Marc

Marc,

My shop is located in the basement. I have had good luck by removing as many pieces as possible to limit the weight. Then, I strap the item to a hand truck with large inflatable wheels and gently move it down stairs.

So far nothing has broken and it's pretty easy with hand truck and two people.

I'd go with the refrigerator dolly. Though you could use the hoist to help lower the dolly down the stairs.
    The I-beam trolly is just that - it's designed to run on the lower flanges of an I-beam section, not on a flat plate. Notice that the wheels are tapered to fit the shape of the I-beam flange. A crane/hoist set up would make things nice, but it's hard to blend such a structure into a residence, and not sure it would be worth putting up/taking down to store it out of the way. Just a guess (I'm not sure where my steel design manuals are right now) But I'm thinking an 8" or 10" tall beam would be required for a 15' unsupported span.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Take it apart. My heaviest move into a basement (through the kitchen) was a friend's Jet planer. After moving it we looked at the book and saw it was 502 pounds - I wanted to kill him.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I've had to help my father lower a large number of metal working machines into his basement. The easiest method we've used was to built some type of sled and guides to slide down the stairs. Then used a block and tackle system to lower it into the basement. Sometimes even utilizing a car/truck to control the weight.

If you can get everything on wheels put down 2 x 6 as a ramp and lower it on there. make sure you tie it off to something so when you are lowering it down the ramp if you let it slip it will not go far.

As Robert indicated, remove anything you can, then use a hand truck.

You'll be amazed how well that works.........Rod.

Blog Entries

Stair slide

I came up with the idea of a stair slide-

On the wall opposite the top of the stairs, I mounted a eyebolt. I attached a winch to it and built a (STURDY) sled with a stop on the edge that would be facing downstairs. The winch (a come-along would work) can pull the sled up the stairs and control the descent for large items going down. when descending, once you are at the bottom, you can slide pipes or dowels under the sled for rolling into position (the Romans did it this way!) and then simply unload.

Going up it is pretty easy, you just want to control the point at which the sled starts to level itself from the incline angle so it is a slow pivot.

It worked for a PM54A jointer without any help at all!

Greg
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

I'm in the same boat. So far, I've moved a 14" PM bandsaw, a Delta Unisaw, a JDS Cyclone system, and an 8" Grizzly jointer using an appliance dolly like:

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...sm=0.9,0.5,0,0

If you notice, there are belts on the back rails--you tip it way back, and the belts create friction, slowing the thing down step to step.

While this works well for some things, I've decided the 750 lb. Grizzly 20" planer is going to live in the garage...

Robert's right on. I moved my TS, 8" jointer, large router table, and band saw into my basement the same way. A little extra work, but it gives you a chance while everything is apart to inspect and make adjustments, lubrications, and repairs if necessary.

Marc,

See these 2 SMC threads where I posted pics and info about how I got 1500 pound machines down a standard hatchway to our basement.

SMC Thread #1

SMC Thread #2 (look at the second post).

Rob

I did a few FEA beam calculations for you. With a decent safety factor I wouldn't go thinner than a 2.5" square bar stock for a 700 pound machine. A 17 ft long 2.5" square bar will still deflect almost a half inch if you are supporting the machine in the middle with it and supporting the beam at the ends.

The I-beam would be much sturdier.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Marc, there are lot's of ways to get things into a basement. I like Rob's photos, it's been awhile since I've seen those threads. You may also want to look at the Felder and Minimax user group sites as their are a fair number of threads (and photos) on how members placed their large machines into the basement. If you're dealing with a typical American style cabinet saw, jointer, or planer then removing some parts and using an appliance dolly is sufficient. If you plan on moving combination machines (like Rob's) then more substantial methods are called for. If you decide on a multifunction combination machine then you may need to remove your staircase amd rig a crane. I recall someone moving a large Bridgeport machine into the basement and they had to remove a picture window, cut out part of their siding, rip up the carpet in a 1st floor familly room, Install a large overhead beam, move the machine in, lift it, and then cut out floor so the machine could be lowered into the basement. Since the machine was a little tall they needed to build a cabinet in the family room where the head of the machine would stay. Then rebuild the house.

If you have any doubts and need help you can always hire a rigger - they're the experts and the will make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Marcade View Post
    I did a few FEA beam calculations for you. With a decent safety factor I wouldn't go thinner than a 2.5" square bar stock for a 700 pound machine. A 17 ft long 2.5" square bar will still deflect almost a half inch if you are supporting the machine in the middle with it and supporting the beam at the ends.

The I-beam would be much sturdier.
    And lighter.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by David Epperson View Post
    And lighter.
    Aww come on now, that bar would only weigh in at 360 lbs.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.