Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: "Absolute wealth of techniques in this video for any project."

Mark, likewise to you! Sometimes on these forums the tone of a conversation can come off wrong or insulting and sorry if I came off that way.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    I would like you to explain to me how this can kickback. The stock is firmly registered against a stop, a fence and a table, and held with two hands and eased onto the blade. How exactly can it go back? It can go only one way and that is down to the table covering the blade. It is 1/4" cutter in 2x2 pine.
    Attachment 381626
    I dont think that the person has any good way to securely hold that part on that machine to start or finish that cut. A loose grip at either end could easily result in kickback. Doing the dado on a router table using a straight fluted bit and similar stops would be much preferrable because kickback is not as likely to occur. Try your method with just dropping the wood onto the cutter like could easily happen witha poor grip and the wood will be repelled from the cutter quite forcibly. Also at the end of the cut (unless your instructions were to shut off the machine and wait for the cutter to stop turning. Maybe i don't understand where you instructed them to put their hands? Also, why no outside featherboards to keep the part registered. Why no provision for a push stick. Why risk getting hands so near the cutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I dont think that the person has any good way to securely hold that part on that machine to start or finish that cut. A loose grip at either end could easily result in kickback. Doing the dado on a router table using a straight fluted bit and similar stops would be much preferrable because kickback is not as likely to occur. Try your method with just dropping the wood onto the cutter like could easily happen witha poor grip and the wood will be repelled from the cutter quite forcibly. Also at the end of the cut (unless your instructions were to shut off the machine and wait for the cutter to stop turning. Maybe i don't understand where you instructed them to put their hands? Also, why no outside featherboards to keep the part registered. Why no provision for a push stick. Why risk getting hands so near the cutter?
    Any time the operator has fewer forces to manually restrain the better. More focus can be put on other tasks at hand, and should anything go wrong, that force won't do anything on it's own. Gravity must be resisted by hand with one method, with the other, the spindle moulder table is doing the job of keeping gravity from moving the piece on it's own leaving one less task for the operator to be concerned about. My guess is that this is why Joe continues to suggest the shaper method is safer.

People are in more danger driving to church on Sunday than working in their shop. But the danger of driving is familiar so we ignore it. But I've seen what can happen in a car crash and losing a finger is about a 3, on a scale to 10. Try working on a farm with machines that will rip off your arm so quick that it will come out the other side before you even know it's gone. Or worse, pull you in and jam, leaving you stuck there until someone comes looking. It's hard for me to get upset when the potential injury is a bruise or cut.

dropped on hundreds of times with stops and as many with no stop. Dont recommend that to anyone but sure there would be a small group of guys here that do that. You have a stop you wont have a kick back. When i started I didnt use a stop once on some small parts and they stitched up 1 1/4 " on my hand signal finger. Not from the blade but from the part ripping it open.

Joe the guy in the purple shirt his arm is blocking the view but it looks like he has the leading edge against the fence and back of the part against the stop but out from the fence and is working that end in?. Dont see doing it that way if that is what he is doing. His left hand position should not be in front of the cutter looks like it is.