Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Articulated Hollowing Jig Cutters

Articulated Hollowing Jig Cutters

My system came with 3/16" square HSS. Time to but new cutters. I see Hunter has directly replaceable round #1 carbide cutters. Anyone have experience with the Hunter? Worth the premium?

Thanks,

Mike

IMO......worth every penny.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I'll second that, well worth the money.

Mike, I too like the Hunter or the like replacement. There are a few of this type now available. I do continue to use the 3/16" square tool steel as well.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I'm a Hunter fan also. I made my own ornament hollowing cutter with a Hunter #1 tip. I'm just blown away by how fast I can hollow and how many I can do. I have yet to replace it have done at least 100 ornaments in the last few years. The 3rd one up is my homemade tool. The top one was an experiment by Mike Hunter. I noticed he now sells one by Cindy Drozda that is similar to mine. Bent-ornament-hollowing-too.jpg

John, do you think that this will work in an articulated hollowing jig?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    I'm a Hunter fan also. I made my own ornament hollowing cutter with a Hunter #1 tip. I'm just blown away by how fast I can hollow and how many I can do. I have yet to replace it have done at least 100 ornaments in the last few years. The 3rd one up is my homemade tool. The top one was an experiment by Mike Hunter. I noticed he now sells one by Cindy Drozda that is similar to mine. Bent-ornament-hollowing-too.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

I’ll let you know as soon as I get my replacement Carbide cutters in from AZ Carbide.

I have the Hope articulating arm hollowing system. It uses the carbide cutters similar to the #1 Hunter carbide. It is very good getting the bulk of the material out quickly. You still need s scar[er to smooth the sides out. I have both 5/8" bar and 3/4" bar with the carbide cutters.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

No my tools won't work in the captured rigs but Hunter does sell a tool called the #1 that is designed specifically to fit many of the captured and articulated hollowing rigs. I was just trying to point out how long those cutters stay sharp compared to a 3/16" HSS cutter. Most people cut way past the time to sharpen and fight with the tool not realizing that it's simply dull and not cutting as well as it could. The carbide cutter on the Hunter tools stays sharp so long you never notice these problems.

Thanks for the helpful replies. After looking at it don’t know if the Hunter retrofit will work on my system. My holders are broached to hold the 3/16” square rod and it seems like the Hunter pocket for he cutter is on a diagonal to the rod.

D83352B6-549F-4D67-96E0-013C1C14671F.jpeg

60799D12-3F97-49A5-B7B9-95B9028927A5.jpg

Mike, I have the same system as you and all you need to do is rotate the the bar to get the right cutter attitude. Works quite well but I still use my 3/16 tool steel one the most probably because I'm cheap and can sharpen and sharpen and sharpen those and they are relatively cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Thanks for the helpful replies. After looking at it don’t know if the Hunter retrofit will work on my system. My holders are broached to hold the 3/16” square rod and it seems like the Hunter pocket for he cutter is on a diagonal to the rod.

D83352B6-549F-4D67-96E0-013C1C14671F.jpeg

60799D12-3F97-49A5-B7B9-95B9028927A5.jpg
    Pete

Mike,

Here's pic of my Hunter that I use on my Carter system. 3/16" square rod with the cutter mounted at an angle. Carter sells them and probably others do too.
    carter1.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thanks Pete and David.

David - Looks like the Carter square bar cutter holder is orientated like my Kobra so should work well.

Pete - Yeah, I see HSS bar at Grizzly for $5.

Mike, I am confused. With the Kobra all you need to do is rotate the bar. You can use these cutters with any of your bars no need to purchase anything at Grizzly?
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Mike, I am confused. With the Kobra all you need to do is rotate the bar. You can use these cutters with any of your bars no need to purchase anything at Grizzly?
    Oh, I was referring to your comment that you still use the HSS bars because they are cheap . HSS bar at Grizzly is $5 vs $69 for Hunter.