Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leave Shop Cabinets Bare? Or finish?

Finish them.

Research a finish technique that you think you'd like to use someday, and do it with them.
    The finish is the stage of a project that a lot of us "fall down" a little bit on. I know I do.
    Don't waste an opportunity to try something new.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I'm another shellac user. Looks good, relatively cheap, quick and easy to apply and repair. Messy to spray, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I'm another shellac user. Looks good, relatively cheap, quick and easy to apply and repair. Messy to spray, though.
    Interestingly, I don't find it messy to spray at all...in fact, that's my preferred application method for shellac!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mine are mostly Baltic Birch. I spray 2 or 3 coats of General Finishes Pre Cat Lacquer.
    It’s incredibly durable, inexpensive, forgiving and fast. It’s a warm dry day today in San Diego and it’s dry to the touch in 5 minutes, re coat in 30. Quick hit with 400 between coats.
    I think my shop should be easy to clean and a pleasant place to spend my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    In the final phases of my basement bar project, I have learned that my tool collection has multiplied exponentially.

To get them all organized I took today to build some “shop” cabinets for my garage so I can organize.

I just used cheap big-box store plywood... but I’m curious if I should take any time to add a finish of some sort?

Or do you all leave yours all bare?

(Garage is unconditioned)
    If you don't put some sort of finish on the wood - it will pick up all sorts of stains and smudges from the workshop and end up looking pretty icky and grungy in pretty short order......

Just something as simple as wiping on a quick spit coat of wipe on poly will make a world of difference in terms of soaking up ick..

And so I would at least wipe on 1 quick coat on the doors and face frames...

Rod,
    I'd sure love to see a picture of how all that shows if possible? Sounds similar to what I was thinking. Just getting ready to finalize the shop cabinets, so love to see options before committing to something. TIA!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    My base cabinets are Baltic birch with a couple coats of semi-gloss varathane. The door and drawer fronts are BB ply with walnut trim.

The wall cabinets are a mix of white melamine and BB.

Regards, Rod.

My preference is to embellish my tool cabinet, show off my skills and make it a piece of fine furniture. I've had this tool cabinet for my hand tools for almost 15 years and I look forward to making a new one soon, with even more bling. This one is red oak face frame, red oak plywood body, with quilted maple veneer panels and walnut accents.

I used only a french polish shellac finish. (The image has been photoshopped just a little bit LOL just to pop the grain of the maple)

tool cabinet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    I paint my shop cabinets, white with yellow drawer fronts. It brightens my windowless basement shop.
    Plus one on white paint. You'd be surprised what a few white surfaces does for lighting in a shop.

I put a couple of coats of water based poly on mine.

Tim

I put ArmRSeal on my birch ply cabinets. Quick buff with steel wool and it's as smooth as a baby's ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Unfinished here. Wasted time and money IMO.
    Agree..... you can paint white to brighten the area...