Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leave Shop Cabinets Bare? Or finish?

Leave Shop Cabinets Bare? Or finish?

In the final phases of my basement bar project, I have learned that my tool collection has multiplied exponentially.

To get them all organized I took today to build some “shop” cabinets for my garage so I can organize.

I just used cheap big-box store plywood... but I’m curious if I should take any time to add a finish of some sort?

Or do you all leave yours all bare?

(Garage is unconditioned)

Blog Entries
    I sand to 220, shellac them and sand to 320. I have baltic birch plywood fixtures that have been setting in the shop for a dozen years and still look fine. Some MDF ones too for that matter (the drawer unit, not the bench):

TNNW (69).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use linseed oil thinned with thinner or white gas. My theory is if it gets scratched up another coat should blend right in and heal any scars.
    Bil lD

I like to sand my shop made pieces, apply a coat of Zinzer shellac cut 50/50 with DNA, light sand, and apply second coat of cut shellac. I have been using the same nylon bristle brush now over 10 years without cleaning only using paper towel to soak out shellac and then wrapping with dry paper towel and wet with DNA and store in plastic newspaper bag twisted for seal. Brush is soft for a few days, but if bristles are stiff there is not enough shellac present and it quickly melts when dipped in next application of shellac. Call me lazy. The shellac will both harden up the shop pieces and make surface slick that will accept wax if needed and make for easier cleanup of dust in future.

Unfinished here. Wasted time and money IMO.

This is something very subjective and personal. I suspect that I'd put at least shellac on shop cabinets and the one that I did build some time ago that isn't repurposed from somewhere else was finished that way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I always put a finish on mine to keep them reasonably nice. I use whatever clear I have left over - often shellac but sometimes water-based poly, etc.I have heard ofvothers using leftover paint or paint returned to the BORG and resold cheaply.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I paint my shop cabinets, white with yellow drawer fronts. It brightens my windowless basement shop.

Shop cabinets are a great way to practice and learn new finishing techniques as well as clear out some finishing materials.

I'm with Jay on this one. Even a garage can use a little brightening up and color. My garage cabinets are purple. Most likely you have some old leftover paint. Use it for a base coat, sand it smooth then top coat it with something you like. Or let your better half choose and apply the top coat.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    Shop cabinets are a great way to practice and learn new finishing techniques as well as clear out some finishing materials.
    Exactly! For shop furniture if it isnt painted its got water based poly in my shop.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Everything in the shop gets hit with a coat or two of shellac sanding sealer, mostly to protect against dirt, grime, and soot, and also to make it easier to get glue and other stains off. Stuff that will take a beating usually gets polyurethane also. A lot of my shop cabinets have been practice projects for a future project (my sharpening bench was the prototype for our kitchen). so I often am also testing the finish on them.

I tend to use stuff leftover from projects or that is one more can opening from going bad. Unfortunately I am not always good at finishing shop furniture/fixtures right away, as my unfinished 4 year old Frid bench will attest to.

Blog Entries
    Seal them to avoid greasy fingerprints if you use your shop for anything other than wood.
    NOW you tell me...

Whenever I have some left over poly or shellac or oil I apply it to my shop cabinets. Slowly everything is getting coated aand since all my drawer fronts and most of the boxes are MDF they can readily take a second coat as material becomes available. Great way to not waste old finish etc.

My base cabinets are Baltic birch with a couple coats of semi-gloss varathane. The door and drawer fronts are BB ply with walnut trim.

The wall cabinets are a mix of white melamine and BB.

Regards, Rod.