Thread: very large trestle table

very large trestle table

I've built a dozen trestle tables over the years but never anything as large as this and my main concern is making this 16 ft by 4 ft top from solid red oak becvause it will weigh SO MUCH!!!. He wants a thick table (2.5") and at 44 lbs per cublic foot, I end up with a top that weighs 586 lbs. Almost impossible to work with unless you have cranes in your shop. I was thinking that I could make the outside edge 2.5" and all the rest of the top (of the interior section) I'd make at 1.25" thick. / this brings the weight down to 338lbs.... which is, at least, possible to manipulate (turn over, etc. I'm looking for EXPERIENCED woodworkers to tell me if they think that my design (to make it lighter) will still be strong enough for this 16X4 size.I'll thank you guys in advance. I think it will be fine but I'd love to hear what others think.....
    russell hudsontable top drawing.jpg

I don't have any experience with a table that size but I did find this while searching Youtube. I remember seeing another video on there of a guy that had to use a fork lift to move the top around in his shop while building it. Maybe one of those will help you.

Here's the other table I was referring to.

Russell, I made a messmate table a bit smaller (12 x 4) about 18 months ago that weighed a bit more than yours at 330kg/726lb. I rigged a chain block to a roof beam and used it to turn the top when I needed to. Choke a fibre sling across the centre with the lifting point at the edge. It was easy for me as I had a 1 ton chain block and a substantial steel shed to work with, plus plenty of rigging experience.

Thinning the centre to 32 thick will work in principle. It will be plenty strong enough. You have the trestle tops to keep it straight. The thinner area will help hide the trestle tops somewhat. I'm not a fan of the breadboard end to hide the thinner centre. However, I don't have a suggestion for an economically viable alternative so ignore that.

The table I made was on a single pedestal with steel embedded strategically for mounting the base. The pedestal was even heavier as you can imagine as it had to resist tipping/leverage forces from someone sitting on the extreme end. It is designated for use on a concrete floor only as it is beyond standards residential timber frame flooring load limits.

Sounds like a nice project. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Wow -- 12/4 oak 16 feet long. Can you source lumber that long?

And then of course how can you joint the edges? 16 feet is a bit longer than my jointer...

Not so much as 16' 500lbs but the principle involved does not vary. I love moving the big stuff around.
    https://archive.org/details/WorkbenchTilt

client didn't want more than two pedestals and trying to get 16' x 2.5", pristine planks narrowed my choices of specie / it's being finished as I type this / will post a good sized article within a month / lokking forward to showing you guys and i thank you for the weight advice / we managed to get it turned over (slowly) with my son & myself when we had to work on the bottom side / was a heavy girl though.... that's for sure!

will post the finished table in a few weeks

find the lumber WAS a factor that made it more difficult / we made a ramp leading up to my 12" jointer / worked like a charm / I'll be submitting a post on how it turned out soon / thx