Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lie Nielsen vs. Veritas Shoulder Plane?

Haven't tried any other, but I love my LV shoulder plane. The finger hole and brass knob on top make getting a good grip and stable operation very easy from any angle. I got the O2 blade, gets razor sharp and haven't found it to dully very quickly.

That finger hole is great; just don't stick your finger in too far, or you'll guillotine yourself if the cheek is tall enough. DAMHIKT...

I have the Veritas large and medium and they are both quite excellent. The set screws make installing and adjusting the blade a lot easier too. Don't have the Lie Nielsen so I can't speak to it's user friendliness, but I do have other Lie Nielsen tools and they are all great. Sounds like your plane slipped through the QC cracks, as they usually finish their tools to a high standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I think its more the Stanley design, not LN. IMO LN needs to tweek the design.
    I also prefer the Veritas shoulder planes, but at the same time those classic Stanley designs were very highly evolved to in response to the needs of a clientele that still contained a fair number of hand-tool-using professionals.

In general when I find myself disliking one of Stanley's classic products I try to ask if perhaps I'm missing something in my own technique.

Are you saying that the LN shoulder planes are based on Stanley designs?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    Are you saying that the LN shoulder planes are based on Stanley designs?
    My recollection is they are based on Preston model shoulder planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My recollection is they are based on Preston model shoulder planes.

jtk
    To be more precise, they are based on the Record version, which comes from the Preston design.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That is my recollection. While the Stanley bullnose and shoulder planes are common tools often found in Maine boatbuilder's tool kits, they were not the inspiration for any of the LN shoulder planes as suggested earlier in the thread. The large LN is a nicer version of the Record 073, which I owned for a few decades, with the small and medium shoulder planes modeled on what would appear to me to be the 041 and 042. Obviously, all have Preston DNA, just as the Clifton shoulders do. Both the LN and LV planes have the heft that settles a shoulder plane for use, as opposed to the Stanley tools, which are a bit easier to use overhead, but never have felt very purposeful for bench work.

I have the Veritas Medium Shoulder Plane. I like the feel I my hand and the brass knob that fits in between your thumb and first finger. It makes it much more ergonomic. I have arthritis in my hands and this tool makes it easier for me.

10. I have not used the LV shoulder planes but have the LN medium and large shoulder planes. The large has much nicer balance and heft and is much more easier to hold and use. The medium is a bit tippy. It could just be the width which makes such a difference between the two planes with identical design.