Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lie Nielsen vs. Veritas Shoulder Plane?

Lie Nielsen vs. Veritas Shoulder Plane?

I just purchased a number of Lie Nielsen hand tools and for the most part the quality is satisfactory. However, the #42 Medium Shoulder Plane is a bit disappointing. There are a number of sharp machined edges and points. They of course can be filed down but for a premium tool that shouldn't be necessary. Any quality machined parts should not have sharp edges unless that was the intention. Is the Veritas Shoulder Plane more refined in this respect?

I much prefer the LV shoulder plane. I have the LV medium and had a Record, which is the same design as the LN shoulder plane. The LV fits my hand MUCH better.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-05-2018 at 3:05 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    It's a "feel" thing. The LN feels like a hand full of unrelated hardware to me but, the LV falls right into my hand. Others have reported the opposite.

LV-Med-Shoulder-Grip-002.jpg . LV-Med-Shoulder-Grip-001.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Steve, Mike is 100% correct. I have both of the LV and LN medium and small shoulder planes. LV puts a lot more thought into their products and the LV shoulder plane is much more comfortable to use.
    Chet

Looks like all thumbs up on the LV medium shoulder plane. Any thoughts on their PM-V11 blade? Are there other LV hand tools that similarly perform better? I was planning to purchase mostly LN tools but after the shoulder plane disappointment it might be wise to spend more time considering other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Looks like all thumbs up on the LV medium shoulder plane. Any thoughts on their PM-V11 blade? Are there other LV hand tools that similarly perform better? I was planning to purchase mostly LN tools but after the shoulder plane disappointment it might be wise to spend more time considering other options.
    I think PMV11 is always a good choice. As far as LV vs LN, I’ve gone with LN for bench planes and LV for joinery planes for the most part. The design philosophy of each company is different. LN seeks to improve old tool designs (mostly Stanley) whereas as LV seeks to innovate from a wide variety of old tool designs and emphasize a modern understanding of ergonomics.

The PM-V11 blade is very good and recommended. Sharpens easily and stays sharp longer than plain carbon steel or A2 steel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    One of my common refrains is for people to get a tool in their hands if at all possible. What one person sees as an over sharp edge another may see as being that way to better register in a corner.

Another consideration between the LV and LN approaches to making tools is LN pretty much sticks to designs of yesteryear. LV innovates with new styles and mechanical features. The do learn from previous designs, but will change or add to a design as a new product goes through the manufacturing process.

Of course wouldn't you know we finally got our taxes finished which let me spend a little money this weekend. Most of it was spent on LV's website. One of the spokeshaves was ordered with the PM-V11 blade.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ... What one person sees as an over sharp edge another may see as being that way to better register in a corner.

jtk
    My earlier comment was based on common machine shop practices. Edges sharp enough to cut flesh, as they were on my new LN shoulder plane, should never be considered quality finished work or best practice. Moving on, I look forward to getting a LV shoulder plane in my hands.

I have the LV medium. It’s been a fine tool and fits my hand very well. Fit and finish are exceptional.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Owned the mediums from both LV and LN; kept the LN and a student went home with the LV. Tough to improve on things that have seen a few centuries of design optimization and settled into an apex configuration, but I do agree that someone should take a whack at it from time to time. That said, most of the work of limbing the two 40' white pines that came down last Friday in the nor'easter got done with axes, despite a couple Stihls in the garage, so I may be a little bit of a Luddite when it comes to that sort of thing (or an axe is just faster for the job ;-) ).

OK, I have a small Preston (9/16"), a medium LV and a large LN. I use the large LN more than the other two, and far more than I ever thought I would. I also find I like it better, pulling towards me, rather than pushing. Just my opinion.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Yeah to those considering, IMO Veritas has it over LN with respect to design and ease of use.

Couple things I really like about Veritas: the side adjusting set screws, and the ergonomics are far better in my hands.

I think its more the Stanley design, not LN. IMO LN needs to tweek the design.

I guess I'm a contrarian here. I've used both planes and greatly prefer the Lie Nielsen shoulder plane. Everybody is right, it is a personal choice - it comes down to how the tool feels in your hand. I guess I just like the more traditional styling of the LN model. Both tools are extremely high quality.

TedP

Blog Entries
    I have the small LV and Large LN. Really don't use either very much, but as has been said, the LV fits the hand for forward motion. I have found the LN also works well, but I pull it as opposed to pushing it. For me, fits much better that way and works very well.