Thread: Front door build

Front door build

I have been commissioned to build a double front door for a customer. Obviously with front doors one side is usually warm while the other is cold and vise versa. Is there anything special I need to do in order to produce a long lasting, failure free product with these constant temperature changes?

Strategies depend a bit upon the door design. Is this a frame-and-panel door, or is it a slab? Does it have glass in it?

Where do you live? Is insulation and good weatherstripping required?

What is your weather exposure -- lots of direct sun or not? Driven rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Strategies depend a bit upon the door design. Is this a frame-and-panel door, or is it a slab? Does it have glass in it?

Where do you live? Is insulation and good weatherstripping required?

What is your weather exposure -- lots of direct sun or not? Driven rain?
    It will be a panel with glass. We live in NC so winters can get single digits and summers mainly upper 90’s.

The house was built by a very reputable builder so I’m sure insulation is great. No sun or rain exposure as the front porch is about 10 ft deep

ALso, forgot to share. I will be using dominos to join

Search is your friend. Here's a recent thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....highlight=door

I am going to building a front door soon also, for myself, not a customer. I bought this book and it's really full of good info. I am planning on using stave construction. Please keep us updated on the build!