Thread: Heater placement

Heater placement

I'm got to put a Ceiling-Mounted Garage Heater in my 12x32 shop. Where is the best place to put it? one end or in the middle?
    This is the heater
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578579_200578579

Similar unit to what I have. I started off by placing it in the corner of my shop, blowing towards the center. I then moved it to center at one end, because I added some sheet good storage. It is blowing to the right. I was hoping to get a little circular air flow with it. Not really sure if that is happening.

I feel it worked better in the corner.

Just my experience.

Robert, I have a similar style heater in my 10 x 24 shop. I too contemplated where to place it for optimum efficiency. I wound up placing it in the middle because that is where I do most of my work. If for any reason I need to go to the other side, I have a small floor fan that I turn to blow the air back in that direction. This works fine for me. I generally don't have to run my heater more than 15-20 minutes because it usually never gets that cold here in SW Ga. My shop is not insulated, but it still maintains the heat for a good while.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I would recommend in the center of the long end of the shop.
    Don

I have a similar Farenheat unit that I've been using for heat and have it at one end of the 22x30 shop with my air filter in the middle to help push the warm air toward the other end. I did replace the internal "thermostat" with an external Honeywell thermostat at the other end of the shop using an interface after the OEM unit fried itself a few months ago. Keep your eye on yours over time for that kind of thing if it's used a lot.

As an aside, the heater has performed well, but since I'm in the shop nearly full time now, it's been expensive to run...I have a Mini Split going in on Tuesday to replace, but will keep the ceiling unit mounted and available for emergency use or if some really extreme weather were to hit in the future that plunges outside temps well below what the heat pump can handle.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I put the ceiling mounted heater about 6' from the wall blowing parallel to it, and mounted a fan at the ceiling that distributes the heated air around the shop. Works pretty good - the blowers on these heaters are not very strong, and the fan makes all the difference.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I put the ceiling mounted heater about 6' from the wall blowing parallel to it, and mounted a fan at the ceiling that distributes the heated air around the shop. Works pretty good - the blowers on these heaters are not very strong, and the fan makes all the difference.
    I totally agree with this.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    . I did replace the internal "thermostat" with an external Honeywell thermostat at the other end of the shop using an interface.
    Jim,

Was this hard to do? I have always thought about doing that. Where did you get the thermostat?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    Jim,

Was this hard to do? I have always thought about doing that. Where did you get the thermostat?
    Thermostat and the interface were ordered from Amazon.

Interface: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thermostat: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In hindsight, I should have spent three to five more bucks for a programable thermostat so I didn't have to run out to the shop every morning in the cold to turn up the heat. LOL
    --

that is more than i payed for the heater.

I placed mine in one corner of my 24' by 30' shop with it pointed to the middle of the shop. My shop is well insulated and I have never felt there was a significant difference in temperature from one end to the other. I have 2 Jet air cleaners mounted about 10" below the 10" ceiling. If I felt there was a significant temperature difference, I'd turn them on. They are mounted in opposite directions to move the air in a CCW direction. I have a a wall mounted thermostat about 5' above the floor in the same corner as the ceiling hung natural gas Lennox furnace.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    that is more than i payed for the heater.
    Yes, the interface wasn't inexpensive, but after seeing how the OEM unit literally fried, presumably from constant use, I felt more comfortable installing a real thermostat. I paid about $260 for the heater I have (30amp 240v) and at the time was intending to continue to use it. As I noted, it will be my backup going forward.
    --

Thanks for the advice. I thank I'll put at 6 feet from the end,