Thread: 14" jet band saw ripping question

14" jet band saw ripping question

I all,
    I just set up my first new band saw. 14" Jet 1-1/4 hp. I Never really used a band saw alot because I just had a old one that didn't work very well. Now I have a New one, I want to fully understand how to use this saw to it's full potential.
    I like to make cutting boards.
    I have watched a lot of YouTube videos where people are ripping lumber on the band saw not the table saw?
    Question: why are people ripping lumber on the band saw not the table saw? The only thing I can think of is a thiner the blade kerf.

Thanks for any advice!

The YouTube videos I have seen are demonstrating resawing vs ripping.
    i would think ripping boards that are very long on the bandsaw would be rather difficult.

Douglas Fir Timbers.jpgBreaking down the timber-1.jpgBreaking down the timber-2.jpg

Hi, band saws can rip much deeper section timbers than most circular saws.

In addition band saws can rip rough lumber, something that can't be done on a typical circular saw safely.

After the ripping you'll need to joint and plane the material to make it usable.

Here are a few photographs of some douglas fir timbers being ripped into usable pieces.

Note the outfeed extension on the saw, I also have an infeed extension which I didn't use this time because the timbers weren't that heavy.......Rod.

Bandsaws excel at rough ripping, and that's the only machine I use for ripping rough lumber. Tablesaws excel at ripping flat lumber to glue up dimensions.

John

That's some great information guys and some good pics. I am understating more, thanks.

A bandsaw can also follow a pencil line to rip a straight edge on a rough-edge board. There's also no risk of kickback with a bandsaw.