Thread: Anyone else get this when trying to get on Woodnet?

Anyone else get this when trying to get on Woodnet?

Nah, I think that's a Firefox thing, they (woodnet) have an expired certificate of some sort. You can click on an 'advanced' button then add a security exception. I go there once in a while and had to reset my password a couple days ago and still can't post.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Nah, I think that's a Firefox thing, they (woodnet) have an expired certificate of some sort. You can click on an 'advanced' button then add a security exception. I go there once in a while and had to reset my password a couple days ago and still can't post.
    It ain't Firefox; it's Chrome, from Google. (Firefox will do the same for those who use it, of course.) Adding an exception is a calculated risk, but when the reason it's blocked is an expired certificate, it's reasonably safe. Anything else, and you shouldn't add an exception.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

They are saying that it happens on the week ends all the time

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    It ain't Firefox; it's Chrome, from Google. (Firefox will do the same for those who use it, of course.) Adding an exception is a calculated risk, but when the reason it's blocked is an expired certificate, it's reasonably safe. Anything else, and you shouldn't add an exception.
    Yep, i am using Chrome. Still getting the message 2 hrs later.

Highly doubt that an IT guy there will be working on a Sunday......should clear up tomorrow.

Ed

I’ve gotten it all day today and a few days ago too. Using safari.

Adding an exception is just shutting off the warning. Current SSL certificates also publish revocation status, as in "if it's still a valid" certificate. Once one expires, it no longer has that included, so you'd have no way of knowing if it was still protecting the connection or if it was expired long ago due to something like a compromised key. Theoretically it could be used against the visitor.

Should you trust that one and ignore the warning?
    Unless making payments though there, it's unlikely to be an issue.
    Personally, I'd wait a day or two, letting them know.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Adding an exception is just shutting off the warning. Current SSL certificates also publish revocation status, as in "if it's still a valid" certificate. Once one expires, it no longer has that included, so you'd have no way of knowing if it was still protecting the connection or if it was expired long ago due to something like a compromised key. Theoretically it could be used against the visitor.

Should you trust that one and ignore the warning?
    Unless making payments though there, it's unlikely to be an issue.
    Personally, I'd wait a day or two, letting them know.
    Look at how social media have changed people's lives. Weekends are for real work in the shop guys...unless you are retired or semi retired and weekends are your computer time as you can woodwork on the weekdays.

Are you "addicted" to social media or to woodworking?

Simon

Simon - easy on the judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Simon - easy on the judgement.
    Just a tongue-in-cheek post, not meant to criticize anyone.

Simon

Are you going there with https:// ?
    http:// is unsecure.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 03-05-2018 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Removed forum link per TOS
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night