Thread: Problem finishing. Help please.

Problem finishing. Help please.

Hello. I have some bowls of spalted magnolia. Very pretty with white and brown zones with black lines. it was suggested to me that General Finishes Water-Based Topcoat Gloss would be a good finish because it will not darken the light spots.

This made sense to me so I went ahead with that idea. If I had it to again, I would use lacquer. More or less the same look but with much less application hassles. (I suppose the water-based topcoat is more durable but these bowls would be completed days ago if I had chosen lacquer).

I first tried applying with a brush but wasn't happy.

Then I tried spraying with my Earlex HVLP sprayer. I started with the 2 mm nozzle but then tried the 1 mm nozzle.

The spraying ok but hard to get a smooth texture without getting it too thick. This is basic problem that I'm trying to overcome. A light spray leaves orange peel and a heavy spray leaves runs.

I can sand it down (600) to a better look but there is still a bit of orange peel look that I'm not happy with. I haven't tried buffing this yet as I don't think it has had time to cure yet.

I can see that this look would be great for these bowls but I haven't yet achieved the look that I desire. One of these bowls is going to be a wedding present so I want the best I can get.

So what to do?

All of this work as been using the stuff straight out of the can. Should I dilute with water?
    Should I get a nice thick coat (that is several coats) and then wait and then buff like crazy?
    Should I sand all this off and apply lacquer?

The bowls are 8 to 12 inches across and 2 to 4 inches deep.

Thanks.

I use Minwax Wipe on Poly for all my bowls. I set the lathe to about 55 rpm and apply it with a bit of folded cheesecloth. I then let the lathe continue to turn for about 10 min and then turn it off and let the piece dry. I never get drips or anything but a nice smooth finish... much better than when I used to use a brush..

Thanks Barry. The bowls are now off the lathe and signed on the bottom.

This won't help me much now, but for the future, how do you deal with the bottom after you apply on the lathe?

I mount the bowl on my Oneway Jumbo Jaws and turn off the foot and sand and finish the bottom...

John Keeton wrote a work up on applying WTF. This was several years ago. I use this finish regularly due to fast dry and no color changes. You can PM me if you like.

(Edit)
    WTF = General Finishes Wood Turners Finish
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-05-2018 at 8:35 AM. Reason: define acronym
    C&C WELCOME

If you have orange peel or runs I believe you have no choice but to sand it until smooth. I would use wet/dry SiC paper and sand with soapy water, starting at 320 or 400 grit. Once smooth you can either apply more coats or go to buffing. I have not used WTF but on occasion I use water base poly, especially for spalted wood. When I use water base poly I apply several coats of thinned poly, wet sand, and add more coats until i am happy. I then wet sand again and Beall buff. You can go directly from 400 grit to buffing. I usually apply oil base poly with 2 inch square pieces of cloth, but with water base poly I need to use a good quality artist's brush to get a smooth surface (that still requires wet sanding to get "gallery smooth").

The wet sanding recommended above works well followed by auto compounds applied on the lathe--the best have a compound/carnuba mix.

What is WTF?

If you have orange peel you can add some retarder and it should help. Generally speaking water based finishes yellow the wood less than lacquer and oils but sometimes can actually leave the wood looking cold. Oils tend to yellow or change the wood the most. Krylon Fixatif changes wood the least of any finish I've tried. However some woods like cedar will change dramatically no matter what finish you use. I use to use commercial grade lacquers until I moved. Don't have a place to spray them right now and my compressor is still down so I started using Minwax wipe on poly. I like it. You do have to sand to a slightly higher degree but only a grit or so. For production items like wine stoppers I apply a coat, then kind of friction dry it with a rag, then apply another coat. when I'm finished turning for the day I'll buff all of the with the bealle system. I get a really nice looking durable finish. With lacquers it's easy to buff through the finish. I'm not sure you can buff through the minwax. It's tough. To get a glass like finish you need to do about 5 to 10 coats of the minwax. I can get this same look with about 5 to 8 coats of sprayed lacquer. Then to really get the glass look you have to finish the finish. I use automotive buffing compounds and scratch remover.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Minehan View Post
    What is WTF?
    Allan Ferguson referred to WTF in his post. WTF= General Finishes Wood Turners Finish. It is distinct from water base poly.

What is really in WTF anywho--the name tells me nothing??

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    What is really in WTF anywho--the name tells me nothing??
    Mostly overpriced and hazardous thinners plus some urethane oil, I can think of better finishes.

General salad bowl finish.jpg
    Have fun and take care