Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: spindle lock on powermatic 3520c

Ok talked to my friends. The Powermatic C tries to start with the spindle lock on and so does the B. My A series doesn't. I'm going to try and call the Powermatic engineers today and put a bug in their ear. They came to my shop and I spend 2 days teaching them wood turning. One of them had turned before the others were flat wood workers.

I recall seeing that the Robust lathes have an interlock that disables startup when spindle lock is engaged. IMHO, that feature should be mandatory for any spindle lock that does not pop out on its own (e.g., Laguna Revo).

Ely

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    Well that's interesting. That would mean the C series must be programmed differently. I'll try to call my friend tomorrow who just got one. If she has it all wired up I'll ask her to test it. On my A series if you have something blocking the spindle from turning it simply won't start. It senses that resistance and simply stops. I'm pretty sure our Club's B series is the same but might have to call the owner and verify that. My memory isn't as good as it used to be.
    My B model does the same as the C model. If the spindle lock is engaged when the machine starts the belts will squeal.

When I saw the C model last year at the AAW Symposium in KC, I asked the rep if: 1) Does it have an override so the machine won't start with the spindle lock engaged (NO). 2) Does it have stainless steel ways so they won't rust with wet wood (NO). and 3) Can you get it with a 3hp motor (NO). Bummer to all 3.

Kudos to those of you that never ever forget to release the lock before starting the machine. I try and remember but every once in a while....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    2) Does it have stainless steel ways so they won't rust with wet wood (NO). .
    A bit off the topic but that reminded me of what Graeme Priddle said about lathe beds and positive locking of the banjo and tailstock - he said in addition to never waxing or oiling we should leave our new lathes out in the rain to let the ways get rusty for some "bite"! Yikes! While I don't think I'd try that, his point about slick ways is a good one. I made the mistake of cleaning and waxing mine once which made it hard to keep the tailstock from slipping.

5. I have the B, I will say that the squealing noise will wake you right up. I have only heard it once. So far.
    I do have a remote switch on mine which I keep at the tailstock in the 'on' position, I *should* turn it off when I lock the spindle.