Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wherein I attempt to complete a tool chest.

Wherein I attempt to complete a tool chest.

Hi again, thought I would come out of hiding and start a thread. I am trying to get started making things after several years of unproductiveness. I am clearing out duplicates and extraneous tools etc, and building organizing units for everything. I have made several toolchests previously, and had two in progress when my work ground to a halt a while back. I dusted one of them off and got back to work. Here are a couple of pics of what I used to fit the lock:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sort of an experiment to see how my pix post from my phone. Sorry about the odd view in the bottom picture, it got rotated 90 degrees somehow, making it look like they are stuck to the ceiling or something.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by john jesseph; 03-04-2018 at 8:28 PM.

Very nice!

Please keep us posted on the progress of your adventure.

Stan

The first step is often the hardest to take. I look forward to seeing more pics down the road!

Very well done, John. Your hiatus obviously didn’t effect your talent. Keep us posted...love to see more.

Glad you're back, and back at it. Look forward to more.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Glad you’re back and nice chisels you have there!

Kevin

Thanks, all!

Quick pic of a hinge mortise after cleanup. I don't recall what possessed me to use ash for the trim other than seeing so many old chests with warbly loose hinges in softwood. I realized it's not easy to do this after it has been attached to the carcass, but maybe I have learned something by doing it the hard way.

image.jpg

Completed hinge mortises:

image.jpg

Odd parallax there in that camera phone pic, the corner really is straight and square. Lol. Photography: not ready for Instagram.

Hope to drill and shape the keyhole and tune the selvedge portion of the lock mortise tonight. Drill and temporarily screw in the hardware and see what needs to be adjusted, then think about the innards.
    Last edited by john jesseph; 03-04-2018 at 8:23 PM. Reason: clarifying poor cell phone prose

It's been a long time since I've heard or seen your name John. Glad to see that you're getting back into doing some woodworking. Keep the progress pix coming.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Hi Dave, hope all is well! Hopefully I can make a positive contribution here.

Quote Originally Posted by john jesseph View Post
    Hi Dave, hope all is well! Hopefully I can make a positive contribution here.
    You just did!

Very nice work.

Thanks again, all

Last post for a bit. Didn't get everything on the list done, but I did move forward.

image.jpg

I got the mortise tuned a bit, pretty close to flush. The enemy of "good" is "better", so there it it.

Looking through the drilled hole into the lock the first time is one of those moments of either tears or relief. No tears shed today. The pin is pretty well centered.

image.jpg

I went ahead and laid out the tools I will use to extend the slot for the key's bit. Three of the four could use some sharpening, and all that stuff is boxed up. I will need to find a few things, so that determined my endpoint today.

Whatever you think the correct sharpening technique is, that's what I will use. Just use your imagination. I won't mention it again.
    Last edited by john jesseph; 03-04-2018 at 9:16 PM. Reason: embellishing

Some progress today interspersed with work and family time.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

I don't care for the key escutcheon. I will figure out a different solution.

I decided to scratch some beads, so I made a quick scratch stock and tested it alongside a smaller one I had. I will fine tune the new one and use it. Top bead is the first test. I narrowed the quirk and then ran the bottom one. I like it better. Seeing them together on the screen, I feel like I should go about halfway between on the width, and make it a shade ovular. Or just use it and move ahead.

image.jpg

I had more pics on that process, but I will save them for some other day unless someone is super interested.

Onward and upward, hope everyone is doing well!
    Last edited by john jesseph; 03-06-2018 at 9:00 PM.

Nothing wrong with those joints. Make your own escutcheon, either some brass or a coin with 2018 on it!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Lovely work and glad to hear you're making progress again.

What is the wood? Ash? Some of the photos look like elm?

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thanks! I hadn't entertained the thought of making one. Good idea. I am leaning toward skipping it entirely, since I don't see one on the Seaton chest. Might also consider one of the castings that simply lines the opening. Luckily that can be decided when I go to paint it.

And you are assuming I get it done in 2018.