Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your plane irons

Show me your plane irons

How you round the corners to make a smooth transision between the passes.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    How you round the corners to make a smooth transision between the passes.
    That's going to be really hard to see in a picture unless there's a straightedge right next to it (I'll shoot one of mine later tonight when I'm off kid duty). For a smoothing plane the amount of camber is on the same order as the shaving thickness, so a few mils for a smoother. The geometric distortion of the camera is likely to be larger than that.

Blog Entries
    Here is a seven year old thread on a cambered blade of mine:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....light=cambered

With the larger planes there isn't much worry about tracks. Take them down with the next plane and finish them off with a smoother.

A smoother without camber or a very slight camber will be able to smooth out tracks from the planes going before it. When it is time for the final passes set a sharp blade in a smoother to as light a cut as it can make. With just a little skill one can leave a track free surface shimmering surface.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks!

Peter Sellers is promoting a very pronounced rounding of the corners, thats why I ask if you do the same?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Here's a video from Matt Estlea showing how to make a subtle camber on a plane iron.

He is such a beginner. Most on this forum can teach him a lot.

Incidentally, he is simply repeating what David Charlesworth taught 15 or more years ago. Look at David's videos for the finer details in this regard.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have one of each bench plane, and multiples of some. None have rounded corners, but every one has some amount of camber for a particular use. The cambers are all rounded with the most depth in the middle, going to nothing at the edges for the thickness of shaving a particular camber is designed for. Rounded corners never made any kind of sense to me. I guess if you're going to sand anyway, it doesn't make a lot of difference though.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 03-04-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Ditto for Tom.

I do not round the corners of the blades. Each has a camber that suits the purpose of the plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Rounding corners does not stop plane tracks, camber does though.

I round the corners of the iron on my smoother only, and only the last 1/16” or so of the width gets rounded. I like to grind my smoother irons flat and relieving the corners does help keep from getting tracks. I could never understand putting camber on an iron that you want to produce a smooth flat surface. My jack has camber, and try is a bit flatter than the jack but still cambered. Smoothers are flat with knocked-off corners.
    Keeping the lateral adjustment of the iron as close to perfect as possible is necessary with this grind however.
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 03-04-2018 at 1:14 PM.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    Peter Sellers is promoting a very pronounced rounding of the corners, thats why I ask if you do the same?
    Did he communicate that through a ouija board? (Peter Sellers has been dead for close to 40 years).

If it's Paul Sellers of whom you speak, then I'm going to get my popcorn and enjoy the show.

Blog Entries
    A jack would normally have considerable camber, where on a smoother I relieve the edge via camber until the tracks disappear with a light shaving. Then, when I take shavings I take passes one next to another. The second round of passes is staggered by 1/2 width of the plane. The result is perfectly flat without visible or tangible scallops.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Rounding corners does not stop plane tracks, camber does though.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    I round the corners of the iron on my smoother only, and only the last 1/16” or so of the width gets rounded. I like to grind my smoother irons flat and relieving the corners does help keep from getting tracks
    I think that a lot depends on your standards for what constitutes "tracks". If we define "tracking" as "surface flatness deviation along the axis perpendicular to the planing direction" then planing always leaves tracks to some degree. The only possible exception is when the work is narrower than the plane such that you can work it in one pass. Even gradually cambered irons leave a very small amount of scalloping, which can usually be detected by somebody who has a high-precision straightedge and knows what to look for.

A more practical definition is "streaks that are visible after finishing", and that depends on the finish (specifically gloss level), the lighting conditions (grazing vs broad), and how closely you look.

I find that I can detect the aftermath of "rounded corners" from a mile away. They do improve things a bit by getting rid of the "hard corner" at the bottom of the step from one pass to the next, but the transition still occurs far too quickly to be imperceptible to any but the most casual observer. Cambering works because it spreads height changes out over a wide area, and renders them much less perceptible.

14. Curved plane edges are not all for the same reason, nor is the geometry figured the same way. A smoother iron is cambered about the thickness of the shaving. A scrub iron is curved to maximize depth of cut. Jacks and jointers have their own geometries. If we broaden the discussion beyond bench planes, molding planes have a whole 'nother world of sharpening parameters.

Fwiw, my smoothers have a curvature that is fairly even along the edge but a bit more rounded at the corners. This may be a sign of laziness on my part or an organic adaptation to a somewhat chaotic work environment or some other lame excuse, but that's just how I roll, dudes.

Here are my jack, try (for my jack) and smoother blades (the smoother could use a tick more camber). I photographed them with the chip breaker on, so the edge is more apparent.
    Attached Images Attached Images