Thread: Jet JWP-208HH vs grizzly g0454z

Jet JWP-208HH vs grizzly g0454z

Its time for an upgrade. I originally planned on the grizz but it is backordered. The jet is about $500 more but is in stock and uses the byrd style head rather than the grizzly spiral style head.

Is there any feature of either that I should consider?

Actually i just noticed i would have to pay almost $170 pa sales tax on the grizzly but not on the jet. That brings the jet to just over $300 more than the grizzly. Unless someone can give me a reason to reconsider, i think im going to go with the jet. The byrd style head and not waiting on a backorder is worth the $300.

Am I missing something?

I have the Powermatic 209HH and compared it heavily to the Grizzly when I was having issues with feeding. Although they look almost exactly the same, they do not use the same tolerances for setting the infeed and outfeed rollers, chipper, etc. not a lot of difference, but there was some. I also felt that the manuals were better on the Grizzly.

I don’t think you will go wrong with the jet. The Byrd heads are very nice.

I just got the Jet JWP-208HH and used it this week for the first time. It is glorious in every way. Availability, the helical head (as opposed to the non helical knives on the Grizzly) and the 15mm x 15mm knives sold me. The Grizzly uses slightly smaller 14mm x 14mm knives and I was concerned about the availability of them. You won't be disappointed with the Jet.

Travis, how did you quantify that tolerance difference?

They are both generic Asian imports that I would consider to be equal. If you don't want to wait on a backorder then the Jet will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Travis, how did you quantify that tolerance difference?
    To level set, I was having feed issues and for some reason I decided to see Grizzly’s manuals as the Powermatic was kind of weak. There was abou .02 difference in the recommended settings for the two units. I tried both settings, and still had feed issues. I am now somewhere in between the two (I split the difference), and as long as I keep the beds waxed I have no issues.... waxing the beds made more difference than i would ever believe.....

I really hated spending the money but I bought the jet and after having it for a couple of weeks I don't regret it a bit. I adjusted nothing except the height Gage and seem to be getting a great finish with the no snipe that the tape measure can detect I'm sure there is some there but I'm not going to go use digital calipers just to make myself angry LOL

Congratulations!!!! Is the outfeed roller serrated, smooth or rubber?

I'm almost embarrassed to say I don't have a clue I will have to look. Once I ran that first piece of wood through it and all seemed well I stopped investigating