Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I walk into a Harbor Freight store......................

I read the thread title " So I walked into a Harbor Freight Store.........", and I was expecting a punch line.............So disappointed

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    First one would have to assume Dewalt designed and manufactured the saw in the first place.
    I would not be surprised there is a manufacture overseas making this saw (with mods for each customer) Any brand could have their name placed on it.
    Don't know if that's exactly the case, but I do know that sourcing is much more complex than the name-brand tool sellers would have you believe. I think a lot of tools (and other devices) are designed in China, and then tweaked according to US designers' requirements.

Harbor Freight sells such a variety of tools, at all different quality levels, that I don't know that one could generalize, especially as it seems that they are starting to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I read the thread title " So I walked into a Harbor Freight Store.........", and I was expecting a punch line.............So disappointed

Regards, Rod.
    No, Rod. If it were a joke it would have been, "So, this monkey walks into a Harbor Freight store..."

Not sure about the punch line, but the possibilities are endless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod.
    Ha! The joke comes later, AFTER buying the garbage from HF!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The generalization about harbor freight's higher end tools is that they're uneven. I wouldn't buy one that wasn't thoroughly reviewed first.

I defy anyone to prove how the $9 rubber hammer I saw at Lowes is any better than my $3 HF one.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I defy anyone to prove how the $9 rubber hammer I saw at Lowes is any better than my $3 HF one.
    But Art, you know that Lowes bought theirs from HF (too) and turns a tidy profit, right?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    I'm not sure if this is too political for this forum - if so, sorry - but it bugs me to think that a Chinese company is making cheap knock-offs of popular well-designed stuff - letting other companies develop the designs, and then sell them for a portion of the original stuff. Even if Dewalt manufactures their products in China, it still bugs me. I respect the opinions of those who disagree and can understand the concept that this is simply marketplace competition, but I'm not sure the playing field is level.
    With you 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    but I'm not sure the playing field is level.
    I don't think the playing field is level, but making it level will be unpopular in some (quite a few) quarters. My understanding is that the U.S. granted lopsided trading rights to countries devastated by WWII to help get their economies rebuilt. Those economies have long since been rebuilt but lopsided trading rights remain.

Another issue is that the 'really cheap labor' manufacturers are going to run out of really cheap labor before long. Chinese wages have gone up and China has tightened up its environmental standards for foundries which has partially contributed to the backlogs at Grizzly and I'm sure others.

If you squint hard enough at one of their 20% coupons you'll notice that they do not apply to their higher-end brands such as Bauer & Hercules.

YEA I met a Gal in a Bar late one night, nice smelling and looked all shiny. Bar closed and we stepped out for breakfast before going to my house. Got to the BRIGHT LIGHTS of Denny's and Boy O Boy " I saw the light. Did not make it past a cup of Coffee. things can look and smell different in THE LIGHT LOL