Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I walk into a Harbor Freight store......................

So I walk into a Harbor Freight store......................

Got a chance to visit Harbor Freight today. I was in the area and needed some sockets for work.
    "looks" like they are upgrading some of the tools they offer.
    Got a chance to look at the new Hercules Professional 12" sliding miter saw. Looks a lot like the Dewalt DWS780
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLCrCz1_2rc
    Have to say it looked and felt just as good as a name brand saw. If not better. Priced at $399.
    Not in the market for one but wondered if anyone has got to use one and your thoughts.

Other tools I noticed that looked upgraded was welders and hand tools.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-03-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It probably won’t be long before there is a $299 super Coupon or just a reduced price with a 20% off coupon, which may even be cheaper.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Hmmmmmm.
    An unproven HF for $399 vs a Dewalt for $599?
    I think I'd save up a bit more and get the Dewalt, even with a 20% off coupon.
    At least until this saw makes the "HF jems" list.

But that's just me. YMMV.

Fred

Edit: Looks like we have parallel threads going on. Here's a link to the other just to tie them together.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-03-2018 at 8:16 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I wonder if HF is getting better tools while preparing for Sears to go out of business and grab their customers.

LED over blade shadow line of the Dewalt is the cats meow. Other than that bosch glide and Deltas new shallow depth glide like design seems nice.

The smell in there burns my nose.

Cmon man...,,

I have so far followed the advice to avoid anything from Harbor Freight with a battery or power cord. Though their multi tool gets pretty good reviews. No pro mechanic but I find their wrenches and sockets suitable for light/casual use.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    The smell in there burns my nose.
    Man, that's too funny!! They sure do all smell the same.

I'm not sure if this is too political for this forum - if so, sorry - but it bugs me to think that a Chinese company is making cheap knock-offs of popular well-designed stuff - letting other companies develop the designs, and then sell them for a portion of the original stuff. Even if Dewalt manufactures their products in China, it still bugs me. I respect the opinions of those who disagree and can understand the concept that this is simply marketplace competition, but I'm not sure the playing field is level.

I don't think it's political. It' economics. If consumers wouldn't buy junk, somebody would make better stuff. And they do, but most people won't spend what it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    I'm not sure if this is too political for this forum - if so, sorry - but it bugs me to think that a Chinese company is making cheap knock-offs of popular well-designed stuff - letting other companies develop the designs, and then sell them for a portion of the original stuff. Even if Dewalt manufactures their products in China, it still bugs me. I respect the opinions of those who disagree and can understand the concept that this is simply marketplace competition, but I'm not sure the playing field is level.
    First one would have to assume Dewalt designed and manufactured the saw in the first place.
    I would not be surprised there is a manufacture overseas making this saw (with mods for each customer) Any brand could have their name placed on it.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Tool quality reminds me of the time many years ago when our supervisor at work bought a new Jepson circular saw. An exact Makita look a like . He was so proud of the money he saved. That was until the bearings went soon after. When it went to the garbage bin and replaced with a Makita, there was never any more cheap take-offs in the shop.

[QUOTE=Jeff Bartley;2785212]Man, that's too funny!! They sure do all smell the same.[/QUOT

I agree!

I have a handful of items from harbor freight, some great some not. I have noticed their new lines that they have look very nice. They have a lot of nice looking welding accessories also.