Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $389 for a HF scms??

Blog Entries

$389 for a HF scms??

Would you pay $389 for a Harbor Freight SCMS??? Seems pricy for HF gear. https://www.harborfreight.com/Profes...NvbWNhc3QubmV0

Hercules_02f_01.jpg
    NOW you tell me...

It's a direct lift from the DeWalt version. I think they are trying to carry a line of worthwhile tools at more reasonable prices. The DeWalt goes for $599 list, although you can usually get it for about $350 on sale. With coupon, you can get the HF for $319. Now I have no idea what the actual quality of the HF tool is, I don't know if they have even been put out for sale yet, but if it is comparable to the DeWalt, why not?

Short answer, no. It may be a perfectly fine SCMS but I wouldn't want to be the first to find out.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Looks like we have parallel threads going on this topic. Here's the other, just to tie them together.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Looks like we have parallel threads going on this topic. Here's the other, just to tie them together.
    Good eye.
    I searched earlier and found nothing. Came back after doing some chores to write the post.

Would I pay $389? Most likley not.
    I would let it be proven first, but not rule it out.
    I got to see one today at HF and have to say the fit and finish looked and felt good. It IS NOT typical HF quality like the cheaper slider they have.
    I kinda got a kick at reading the responses on Youtube. Had nothing to do with the merits of the saw. Just my Chevy is better than your Ford type remarks.
    DeWalt is just Black and Decker attempt at a better line of tools. No reason HF cant do the same with Hercules. But only time will tell.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My problems with it are that I'm generally suspicious of the accuracy of sliders, even more suspicious of Harbor Freight. Put those together? Nope.

Not at that price.... I paid just slightly more for my 10 inch Bosch Glide Arm which is a very nice tool with a good track record. I think HF is really trying to improve their tools and image but they are still learning. It's a very competitive market, FWIW, not all the name brand stuff is all that great either. You really have to evaluate each tool by itself based on your application and $'s available.

Robert

If HF had the parts availability to go with their products like Dewalt/Milwaukee, maybe, but at a lower price on this saw. If this saw is purchased, it should be purchased knowing that in 3-4 years, if common problems like a switch, etc. go out, it may be un-repairable. I may go against the grain here, but, a lot of people have nothing but glowing reviews about Bosch. I don't. I had a Bosch miter saw and 1617 router. Neither proved to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henry View Post
    If HF had the parts availability to go with their products like Dewalt/Milwaukee, maybe, but at a lower price on this saw. If this saw is purchased, it should be purchased knowing that in 3-4 years, if common problems like a switch, etc. go out, it may be un-repairable. I may go against the grain here, but, a lot of people have nothing but glowing reviews about Bosch. I don't. I had a Bosch miter saw and 1617 router. Neither proved to last.
    Parts availability. That's a darn good point that I hadn't thought about.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henry View Post
    Good point about parts, HF is not know for parts availability.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parent View Post
    Not at that price.... I paid just slightly more for my 10 inch Bosch Glide Arm which is a very nice tool with a good track record. I think HF is really trying to improve their tools and image but they are still learning. It's a very competitive market, FWIW, not all the name brand stuff is all that great either. You really have to evaluate each tool by itself based on your application and $'s available.

Robert
    I too don't buy just on brand alone. If I have good luck with one brand, it will be in the running for my next tool.
    I own a Bosch jig saw and never liked it, It always cuts with a bevel.
    We use DeWalt at work. I have 3 18 volt drills. Different model numbers but they look identical. You have to pick them up to feel the difference. The bits are always falling out of them. I own a Ryobi 18 volt and like it a lot.
    We also have a Dewalt Jig saw. I like it a lot and may buy one for home to replace my BOSCH.
    The Dewalt circular saw we have is also GREAT and will buy one for home if my late 1980's Makita saw ever gives out.
    I own a pre-Dewalt Black and Decker Professional corded drill. Purchased i is the late 80's and still use it.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 03-04-2018 at 8:49 PM.
    - Rick Dale

Like most modern tools all the lever locks are plastic. They seemed fairly strong but I wonder how long until they snap under pressure. It was tighter with less then 25% of the slop in the 199 version. I could see the blade angle over as I tried to pull the handle from side to side. The motor size looked to be about the same. Being 120 I am sure they are maxed out on horsepower years ago.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    It's a direct lift from the DeWalt version. I think they are trying to carry a line of worthwhile tools at more reasonable prices. The DeWalt goes for $599 list, although you can usually get it for about $350 on sale. With coupon, you can get the HF for $319. Now I have no idea what the actual quality of the HF tool is, I don't know if they have even been put out for sale yet, but if it is comparable to the DeWalt, why not?
    There is no way I would pay $319 for a DeWalt knock-off if you can get the real DeWalt for $350. The HF version might have the same specs, but everything will be lower quality. The bearings will be cheaper. The castings will be rougher. The motor will be physically smaller even though they may rate it as the same HP.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    There is no way I would pay $319 for a DeWalt knock-off if you can get the real DeWalt for $350. The HF version might have the same specs, but everything will be lower quality. The bearings will be cheaper. The castings will be rougher. The motor will be physically smaller even though they may rate it as the same HP.
    Then don't. I wouldn't either, but I don't need a SCMS so I'm not in the market for either. But there are a lot of people who would, people who either don't want to wait for DeWalt to have a sale when they can walk into Harbor Freight any day with a 20% off coupon and get a saw for $319.

Brian, in my part of the world, the HF 20% and the special 25% coupons have exceptions. They don't work on the HF better products, like the "Earthquake", and in this case, "Hercules." I've heard of some cashiers ignoring the exceptions, but, my local store won't let you purchase things that are not allowed on the coupon. First thing you have to do is find a decent magnifying lens to read the fine print...