Thread: I was going to....

I was going to....

I was going to get a new table saw and with a $600 budget, I had narrowed my choice down to these two. The Delta 36-725 and the Rigid R4512. My old saw being a Delta contractors saw, this model ...http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...hase-questions
    I originally posted a question (not here) on a couple of woodworking forums as to which of the two saws mentioned above I should buy? Opinion, was as to expected, divided. They both seem to have haters for various reasons.
    So for this reason I am going to keep my old saw for a little longer at least. Agree?

First, welcome to our Community, Ian. This is a friendly, knowledgeable place and we're glad to have you join us!

Not knowing why you want to change saws, I can't really agree or disagree. But these thoughts come to mind. Maybe they'll give you more ideas.
    * If you want one of those saws, buy it, if the reasons the haters hate it don't bother YOU. I'd try to find one at a store and get a feel for them.

* I have the 34-444 and like it. I've tricked it out and it works well for the things I like to build. So for me, upgrading to a (brand new) $600 saw isn't going to buy me much more than I already have. Maybe the same applies to you. Dunno.

* If you need more power or capability than your current saw, think about a used Unisaw etc. You can sometimes get a lot of bang for the buck, used.

Best wishes,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have realized, like you that my current saw is all I need. And the new $600 shiny new saw is not going to make things any better.
    I just need now to get an after market blade guard. I think I have gone long enough with out one. (Very silly/stupid me).

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scott View Post
    I have realized, like you that my current saw is all I need. And the new $600 shiny new saw is not going to make things any better.
    I just need now to get an after market blade guard. I think I have gone long enough with out one. (Very silly/stupid me).
    I bought a Shark Guard. It works very well and is easy to install. And Lee is a good man to do business with. Here's a link if you don't already know about these.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I say if you want to get a new saw, do it. You can rationalize yourself out of anything.

I agree. However I think I would need to spend a lot more than $600 to improve on my saw. And at the moment I can neither afford, need or want to spend any more.