Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the mind is NOT involved ..

When the mind is NOT involved ..

When you are working in the shop...you need to make sure the mind is engaged in the work going on. If you can't concentrate on the tasks being done, mistakes will happen. IF you are lucky, only the wood will suffer.....the goal is to leave the shop in the same condition that you went in...

Had such a problem this morning.....could not get the mind out of"neutral", and into the tasks being done. Noticed fingers getting too close to sharp objects lost track of which task was next....

So...I simply set down the tools onto the bench, turned off the light, and walked back out of the shop. Safer this way. There is always another time.

no "DNA" was spilled in today's shop time...stay safe, out there.

Case in point.. a bead was started
    IMG_3362 (640x480).jpg
    Barely....had to adjust the fence closer to the edge....however
    IMG_3363 (640x480).jpg
    Those two pencil marks? THIS is the side the bead is supposed to be on. Instead of on the edge.
    Just little things like this, can add up to a bad day....

Absolutely 100% right. I now have a perennial ache in a finger on my left hand after I introduced a very sharp chisel to the bone in my finger... It was late at night.. I was sleepy.. Pushing to get that one last thing cleaned up before going to bed...

Well - I sure had a lot more to clean up after that... And bed was a lot farther away at that point...

Good decision. Hope I can be so wise to heed your advice there.
    Glad you are safe and intact.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It’s that split second after the fact that your mind races and thinks “what the heck did I just do?!” I put a a 1/4” chisel through the base of my thumb once clear to the bone. Fortunately, didn’t hit anything important, so it all functions just fine. But, yes, a lapse of thought/discipline can be quite harmful. It is often best at times to just walk away for a awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Absolutely 100% right. I now have a perennial ache in a finger on my left hand after I introduced a very sharp chisel to the bone in my finger... It was late at night.. I was sleepy.. Pushing to get that one last thing cleaned up before going to bed...

Well - I sure had a lot more to clean up after that... And bed was a lot farther away at that point...
    Been there, done that. Except I did it in the late afternoon and was alone with the kids, so I had to stabilize it, take care of them through dinner and bedtime, and then sneak off to the ER once my wife was back. I had to use a bunch of acetone on it to get rid of all of the CA resin so that the ER could stitch it. Not fun. Nice job stopping before anything bad happened, Steven.

Yup, it happened to me this afternoon. Was cutting dovetails. Had cut several and marked out a new set. Okay, leave the line, leave the line. No problem. Left the line, sawed and chiseled out the waste looking for a perfect fit right off the saw as usual. Whoa, loosey, goosey. What happened? Left the line alright, but on the wrong side!

I just turned out the lights and went outside and trimmed some bushes. The day before, I cut the same part three times before I got it right.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Just came up from the shop, tired, and opened this thread. How fitting. All day working on parts, keeping track of what goes where, in the home stretch, getting ready to make the first glue up, LOML is telling me dinner is getting cold, and I'm finished gluing and had the brilliant thought that if I drove the glue back down the nozzle of the bottle with some compressed air, it would be nice and clean tomorrow. Well I'm driving that glue back into the bottle, feeling pretty smart, the nozzle is clean as a whistle, and I stop the flow of air, and here comes a Vesuvius of glue out of the bottle. All over my shirt, my face, tools, the piece I was working on, my bench, etc etc. No telling how much pressure I built up in that little glubot bottle of glue. And dinner was way cold by the time I got to it. LOML thought it was the funniest thing she had ever seen.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Good one Bill. I too love it when I think I have a brilliant plan and life it's own self slaps me down. I was laughing with you, not at you.
    David

When you can't seem to focus on the task at hand....getting upset because you can't find the tool/part/clamp that you had just laid down a minute ago....when you make a cut on the wrong side of a part.....or cut the wrong parts. When your mind,AND eyes , are not focused on the spinning saw blade...when you get mad, and get in too big of a hurry.....

Step back, drink that soda/coffee/water ( NO BOOZE!) and just...think. Relax.... Regain a calm feeling.... Take a good look around....mabye just take a short ( as needed) "Coffee Break". Once all that happens, then think about how to start working again....come up with a "better plan of action". Then try again.

You may find that Concentration beats Motivation everytime.

This is a great topic to bring up Steven. I find myself taking more breaks then usual these days, and still happen to make mistakes along the way.
    Getting older, and doing what came naturally in our younger years, can be very frustrating to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    ( NO BOOZE!)
    Isn't the booze a mandatory part of "traditional" neanderthal woodworking? :-)

"a shot for the shellac, a shot for me, a shot for the shellac, two shots for me"...

NOT in MY shop....maybe AFTER shop time is finished for the day.

IF you wish to have it in YOUR shop...that is YOUR problem.

Good advice

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    NOT in MY shop....maybe AFTER shop time is finished for the day.

IF you wish to have it in YOUR shop...that is YOUR problem.
    Lighten Up Francis....