Thread: Drilling Glass

Drilling Glass

Hello all
    anyone have experience drilling thick glass ? Stopped by my local glass shop this past week and got a surprise on what the cost is for drilling glass. Two pieces 13 1/4” square $140.00 per piece. Seems a bit expensive, I guess they have to send it out and the company charges $18.00 per hole plus a square ft charge with a minimum charge of 4 sq ft.

I can buy the 3/8” thick glass pretty reseasonable. Thinking of giving it a try. Or if anyone has an online glass shop that is more reasonably priced.

I’ve cut glass before but never drilled it, any advice on procedure and tools will be appreciated

thank you
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing

Is the glass tempered? If so, breaking through into the middle will likely shatter the glass into a zillion little pieces. A pro might be able to do it with special equipment but I understand tempered glass is usually drilled before the tempering process. If not, some drill with carbide bits. Diamond bits will work but 3/8" is pretty thick, maybe with constant lubrication. I've drilled thin glass.

Maybe good to ask some other glass shops.

Mounting holes? Curious as to what you are making and if there is another way.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Is the glass tempered? If so, breaking through into the middle will likely shatter the glass into a zillion little pieces. A pro might be able to do it with special equipment but I understand tempered glass is usually drilled before the tempering process. If not, some drill with carbide bits. Diamond bits will work but 3/8" is pretty thick, maybe with constant lubrication. I've drilled thin glass.

Maybe good to ask some other glass shops.

Mounting holes? Curious as to what you are making and if there is another way.
    Copy that. I once tried to score a piece of glass that I did not realize was tempered. It was a hell of a mess.

I've drilled aquariums before, with diamond hole saws and lots of water for cooling. Use a backer board, tape on both sides of where the hole will be, and go slow, slow, slow.

I have an old drill press set up for drilling glass. I was diamond core bits in an arbor attachment that feeds water thru the core of the bit while drilling. I have drilled up to 1 1/2" holes thru 1" thick glass sinks (which I used to make in my glass studio). Even with this set up there is a good chance the back of the hole will pull away some glass. You can fix this by turning the piece over mid way and drill from the back.

For a one time drilling, most people build a dam around the hole (using plumbers putty) and fill with water, then use a regular glass bit to drill the hole under the water.

If the hole doesn't need to have perfect square shoulders, you can easily blast the holes with a sand blaster, just need a little blast resist media and the blaster.

Perry

Hi guys

The glass is for tops that will held above end tables with machines standards. Tempered glass is not necessary so I’m not using it. I’ll have to watch a few You Tube videos and see for my self. God it’s been yrs I believe I drilled some 1/4” stuff but can’t remember the results. I’ll read the above posts and hopefully absorb the advice offered. Building a dam around the drill hole sounds like a great idea

thanks fellows for the help
    sometimes it's people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines. Alan Turing