Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microjig dovetail clamps - gimmick or not?

Microjig dovetail clamps - gimmick or not?

I'm a sucker for a gadget, in fact my wife has banned me from watching those infomercial shows on TV. When I saw this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDq0aPjKuo ) my credit card immediately came out of my wallet until I watched the video again. I then realized that all the demonstrations he showed I have covered in my workshop. For example, I have a tall table saw fence using universal fence clamps ( http://www.rockler.com/universal-fence-clamps ) at more than half the price, a taper jig that uses T slots, a drill press table that uses T slots and bolts, stop blocks that use ordinary one handed clamps etc etc etc. I also realized that I needed to buy the matching dovetail bit and good ones can be quite expensive and have a limited life. Also those universal fence clamps (which you can make yourself) can do many of the things that the dovetail clamps can do and only require a 3/8" drill bit and I have at least 5 of those. Some of the jigs he showed had the clamps already attached so you need to buy more of them to use in other situations. So I can't see a usage that I've already got covered with my existing tools and clamps.

Are these useful? Good value? Have I missed the point?

Unfortunately, the microjig uses dovetails instead of round holes. I think this was a ploy to make sure their dovetail clamps sold. I did not realize that the microjig had dovetail holes in them when I ordered mine. Instead of falling for their sales gimmick, I made my own with a sawn off bolt and heated it with a torch and hammered out my own. Works fine. I too think they are a bit pricey.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Judge for yourself.

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I already posted a later video on these and it was this video that initially got me interested but I then became skeptical and cynical as they don't seem to offer any major advantage over existing methods and tools.

I'd love to hear from owners and non owners who think they are useful and good value

I own a set, but have not used them yet. I don't get into the shop much and when I do I spend most of the time cleaning so I can get the one little thing I need done. I don't have the Rockler clamps or anything like them and I already have dovetail bits, so it was a no-brained for me. I bought a set from Ralph on the spot at the demo.

If you already have three ways to skin that cat then you don't need a fourth, but for someone who doesn't have any, I think the versatility could be useful.

That said, I just checked online pricing, and there's no way I would have paid $40-$45 for a pair of those, so they must have had a show discount going. A DEEP discount.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I purchased a pair at the Hartville Hardware tool sale. I was going to cut the dovetail groves into my work table top. When I got to laying out the positions for the grooves I thought there are less expensive ways to do this. I then returned them and purchased a pair of back to back clamps on eBay to do what I was going to use the dovetail clamps. Far more useful to me and infinity more adjustable.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I don't think they're a gimmick. Fairly certain that they will do as advertised. Question is if you need something like these.

A T-slot bit in a router, some inexpensive F-clamps from the borg, and you can accomplish the same thin.g Might need to ground down the heads a bit on the F clamps, but the end result would still be the same.

It does seem like a fair bit of cash for two clamps.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I own a pair. They work nicely. You do need to make a dovetail slot, but you can do that with a cheap dovetail bit. I mostly use one on my table saw fence with a stop block for repetitive long cross cuts where my miter gauge stop is too short. The clamps also work directly in 1/2" t-slots. I use one at my drill press because it has those slots cut into the steel top. I haven't made any sort of clamping table yet. So, no great need. Expensive yes. But nice tools always are.

Blog Entries
    I have used the Rockler Universal Clamps for some years with reasonable success. The thing that the MicroJig clamps do not do is twist under torque or when tightening. The Rocklers usually only do this when a significant amount of torque is applied. I use both as I have both but, there are situations where the one or the other work better for me.

In places where something like a spring clamp or a QuickGrip clamp would be sufficient, the Rocklers are great; sac-fences, cross-cut stop-blocks, etc.

GnG Low CoD (5).jpg

For clamping something that is going to come under lateral force, the MicroJig versions are more secure (or maybe I just feel more secure using them.

BS Template Jig (4).jpg

Either way they are a good product but, a bit pricey. I got mine on a special when they were first coming out; I'd watch for a sale.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I went on eBay and searched for "back to back clamps" and came up with nothing that looked anything like a wood clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I purchased a pair at the Hartville Hardware tool sale. I was going to cut the dovetail groves into my work table top. When I got to laying out the positions for the grooves I thought there are less expensive ways to do this. I then returned them and purchased a pair of back to back clamps on eBay to do what I was going to use the dovetail clamps. Far more useful to me and infinity more adjustable.

These clamps look very useful in some situations where other types of clamps won't work. I am happy the OP brought them to my attention. The price is such that I will wait for a sale if possible. As far as cost goes, these clamps and a dovetail bit are much cheaper than a 3/4" bit and piles of T track. That is what I use for hold downs on my CNC router spoil board. I tried using a T slot bit but the thin shoulders of the "T" aren't strong enough to keep the bolt from breaking out under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I went on eBay and searched for "back to back clamps" and came up with nothing that looked anything like a wood clamp.
    Try this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Tru-Grip...IAAOSw38BaiJSc
    Last edited by George Bokros; 03-03-2018 at 2:13 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link per TOS
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have a pair that are perfect for a mortice jig ...

This is the rear of the jig, and the recess is for the fence of the router ...

Here s the router on the jig, with the clamps holding a workpiece to be morticed ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for all the replies. I was curious to see what people thought of these as the videos make them look very impressive and while I can see they have some uses for some people, in my case they are poor value when I can achieve the same things with existing clamps, stop blocks, T slots and hold downs.

Derek, I am also a fellow Aussie. Where did you buy the clamps?

They look the same as the Festool clamps I bought (second hand) as the owner did not use them.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening