Thread: Demo this week in Crossville, TN

Demo this week in Crossville, TN

I was privileged to do a turning demo at the Cumberland Woodturners in Crossville the other evening. I showed how I make what I call "small squarish dished platters" from 2" dry hardwood lumber. I've shown these photos here before (I do have some new photos, honest, as soon as I get them processed!):

penta_maple_ellis_c_IMG_5435.jpg penta_plates_comp_small.jpg

I've been making these for several years now for gifts, originally inspired by Frank Penta's square dishes made from 1" wood but more curved on the edge and with a taller base to get them off the table a bit. (Sorry Frank, I like these better! )

It was great fun and the audience was fantastic. Even the lathe quitting in the middle of the demo didn't slow us down much - the switch was "fiddley".

03.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 08.jpg .jpg

I also auctioned off a prepared blank and a Hunter Hercules tool and brought templates for those who wanted to try making these. I use the small Hunter Hercules tool to turn both the top and bottom of these except for detail inside the base ring. These tools are incredible - the cupped cutters are extremely sharp and can be used exactly like a bowl gouge with bevel-rubbing cuts, perfect for cutting the wings. (I bought the bright LED light from Ken Rizza.) I take out tool marks on the lathe with negative rake scrapers and with hand scrapers off the lathe - usually then requiring only 320 or finer sandpaper, typically finishing with Watch "danish" oil.

Good clean fun!

JKJ

2. Nice work John! I like the "squarish" form. Frank was at our last Virginia Symposium, but I could not find the time to get in on one of his rotations. I believe he's coming back in November again.

I have to do an "emerging bowl" demo tomorrow morning here in Virginia. I hope there are no "switch fiddlers" attending tomorrow!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-02-2018 at 6:36 PM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I like your puzzled expression in pic 5 the best.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Nice work John! I like the "squarish" form. Frank was at our last Virginia Symposium, but I could not find the time to get in on one of his rotations. I believe he's coming back in November again.

I have to do an "emerging bowl" demo tomorrow morning here in Virginia. I hope there are no "switch fiddlers" attending tomorrow!
    I hope you can catch Frank. The last time I saw him he told me he was "retiring" from demonstrating at symposiums. Frank is a lot of fun, ADDHHHD like me! He has a lot of energy and overflows with ideas. If you can't catch him at a demo, you might stop and visit him in Carboro NC some day. He has a 3-story shop with more wood than an exotic wood dealer and always has time for visitors. His web site is worth checking out - especially the documents and downloads section. http://www.frankpenta.com/

Good luck with your demo! Post photos!

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo
    I like your puzzled expression in pic 5 the best.
    Dave, I'll have you know I work hard to entertain the woman who takes the photos for the newsletter. (several of us drive from Knoxville to Crossville every month for the meetings - some great turners attend there.) This one is even better: "Hmmm, now what was I supposed to be doing tonight?..."

02.jpg

JKJ

Excellent work, John.
    "Hunter Hercules tool". Is that something that can be sharpened, or is it just move it a few times until all edges dull and replace?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Excellent work, John.
    "Hunter Hercules tool". Is that something that can be sharpened, or is it just move it a few times until all edges dull and replace?
    The cutters are carbide and made with extremely sharp edges. I've heard they cannot be sharpened. Mike recommends rotating them a random amount every day to even out the wear. With moderate use and care (don't bump the edge into the tool rest!) they do last a long time. I am careful to slide protectors over the bits when not in use to prevent mishaps. (I make them from plastic tubing.) Replacement cutters are about $20.

I've used some for years with the original cutters and I like to turn some very hard woods. I examine the cutters with a strong loupe or 30x microscope for signs of wear. A couple of weeks ago I did replace the cutter on the one I took to the demo just in case, although it still seemed sharp to me after a couple of years of use.

You might try one out. A couple of turners have come to my shop recently to try them and immediately bought some. It's a bit of a walk for you but maybe someone in your local club has some. John Lucas has made some youtube videos that show the use. We use them on bowls, platters, boxes, hollow forms, and spindles. With a steady hand the wood is almost polished - same as when turning acrylic. This took only some 800-1500 grit and some hand polishing:
    acrylic_ornament_green_IMG_5716.jpg

This might sound like a sales pitch for Hunter (I've known Mike a long time but have no financial connection) but you can also use the tools effectively as scrapers as well as gouges with surprisingly clean cuts - a world of difference from the flat-topped carbide cutters. Lucas teaches beginner classes where they use these for immediate success and make things to take home. Coves are so simple for a beginner compared to a spindle gouge.

BTW, the Hercules and Osprey tools are similar - the first is made with a square shaft with the corners relieved and the second is on a round shaft. I have both but prefer the Hercules which is a little stiffer. The cutters on both are angled down about 30 degrees or so which makes them easy to cut with bevel-rubbing just like a spindle or bowl gouge. These are some of the Hunter tools with angled cutters. From the top the large Hercules, the small Hercules, the small Osprey, and the Clewes mate.

HUNTER4_side_IMG_20160803_1.jpg HUNTER4_top_IMG_20160803_10.jpg

Mike also has just release his Viceroy tool made somewhat like the Mate. To me it feels like a perfect tool for a beginner or novice, perhaps not much good for bevel-rubbing cuts but excellent and catchless when used flat on the rest like a scraper.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The cutters are carbide and made with extremely sharp edges. I've heard they cannot be sharpened.
    Thanks, had a feeling when I wasn't finding any instructions or products for doing so.
    You might try one out. A couple of turners have come to my shop recently to try them and immediately bought some. It's a bit of a walk for you but maybe someone in your local club has some.
    It's interesting, but there aren't any clubs local to me here. Many years ago there was one, but they disbanded at some point. In fact, looking at an AAW map of member groups (I'm no longer a member), there's a large hole in NY state where I'm located. About 2 hours in all directions.
    If I were more active as a turner these days, there seems to be an opening for starting one here. I'm sure there are others in this area (but wonder why the last one failed).
    I tried one of those ring tools (below), and mostly suffered some spectacular catches. Is the cutting technique similar to those?
    B845133_845H_Ring_Tool_Handled.jpg

John did a wonderful demo and it was well received by the members. The Hunter Hercules can be used flat like a scraper because the cutter is tilted foward 30 degrees. It can also be used as a bevel rubbing tools and leaves a spectacular finish. the ring tool that you showed must be used as a bevel rubbing tool or you will get big catches. The Hunter #4 is similar to the ring tools except it can't get clogged with shavings like the ring tool did. I have done videos on both tools. Go to youtube and type in john60lucas/hunter and you will find all of my hunter tool videos.

Years ago I bought a Oneway Termite termite tool that looked much like that. I did get some catches but it clogged a lot. I don't know if I was using it wrong but I quit and finally gave it a way to someone who had one and loved it.

The Hunter bits are different in that the chips fly away just like using a gouge. I wish you could try one. Maybe give Mike Hunter a call - he might know someone with one who lives near you or has another idea for you to try one. It would be best to get with someone who can show the use first then let you try - that's what I do. Hey, road trip, come visit beautiful East TN in the spring! (In the 70s I moved south from the cold north and I love it!) You can take a llama for a walk, play in the shop.

If you have time, search youtube for John Lucas who demonstrates several of the tools.

Two hours might be worth a drive to a club every month or two. Every month I attend one in Knoxville that's about 40 minutes away and some of us carpool to the Crossville club, over an hour and a half the way I drive. Some people drive further than that but not every meeting.

From discussing this with others, it seems some clubs struggle because of lack of energetic active turners which can mean poor demos and low enthusiasm leading to low membership and funding problems. Key seems to be having a core of several active people willing to volunteer some time to organize, advertise, publish a newsletter, and generate interest, encouraging beginners with good demos and mentoring.

Finding a good place to meet with both space and equipment is crucial. The Knoxville club is sponsored by the Woodcraft store which donates classroom and storage space. The Crossville club meets in the shop of a generous man who put all his tools on mobile bases to clear space for the meeting. The Chattanooga club rents space in a carving shop (that specializes in carving carousel horses!). All are nearly overflowing with members.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Thanks, had a feeling when I wasn't finding any instructions or products for doing so.
    It's interesting, but there aren't any clubs local to me here. Many years ago there was one, but they disbanded at some point. In fact, looking at an AAW map of member groups (I'm no longer a member), there's a large hole in NY state where I'm located. About 2 hours in all directions.
    If I were more active as a turner these days, there seems to be an opening for starting one here. I'm sure there are others in this area (but wonder why the last one failed).
    I tried one of those ring tools (below), and mostly suffered some spectacular catches. Is the cutting technique similar to those?
    B845133_845H_Ring_Tool_Handled.jpg

John, I had or have one of these types of tools,and yes I used to clog it up a lot. So I tried using it backwards, and it works beautifully that way. There's no clogging it full,and it throws a good strip of shavings.
    Len

Years ago I bought a Oneway Termite termite tool that looked much like that. I did get some catches but it clogged a lot. I don't know if I was using it wrong but I quit and finally gave it a way to someone who had one and loved it.

The Hunter bits are different in that the chips fly away just like using a gouge. I wish you could try one. Maybe give Mike Hunter a call - he might know someone with one who lives near you or has another idea for you to try one. It would be best to get with someone who can show the use first then let you try - that's what I do. Hey, road trip, come visit beautiful East TN in the spring! (In the 70s I moved south from the cold north and I love it!) You can take a llama for a walk, play in the shop.

If you have time, search youtube for John Lucas who demonstrates several of the tools.

Two hours might be worth a drive to a club every month or two. Every month I attend one in Knoxville that's about 40 minutes away and some of us carpool to the Crossville club, over an hour and a half the way I drive. Some people drive further than that but not every meeting.

From discussing this with others, it seems some clubs struggle because of lack of energetic active turners which can mean poor demos and low enthusiasm leading to low membership and funding problems. Key seems to be having a core of several active people willing to volunteer some time to organize, advertise, publish a newsletter, and generate interest, encouraging beginners with good demos and mentoring.

Finding a good place to meet with both space and equipment is crucial. The Knoxville club is sponsored by the Woodcraft store which donates classroom and storage space. The Crossville club meets in the shop of a generous man who put all his tools on mobile bases to clear space for the meeting. The Chattanooga club rents space in a carving shop (that specializes in carving carousel horses!). All are nearly overflowing with members.

JKJ

John, you get so much done that I've suspected that you are one of three identical triplets.....now we have three pics at the lathe that are pretty much the same....hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    John, you get so much done that I've suspected that you are one of three identical triplets.....now we have three pics at the lathe that are pretty much the same....hmmm..
    I'm so lazy I think the only reason I get anything at all done is because I don't watch TV. I quit about 12 years ago.

JKJ

I don't watch TV. I quit about 12 years ago. JKJ
    I thought I was the only weird one around. I have not owned a TV in somewhere around 20 years. I have watched TV in that time as I used to work on the road for weeks to months at a time. Sitting in a hotel room at night with nothing to do....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I thought I was the only weird one around. I have not owned a TV in somewhere around 20 years. I have watched TV in that time as I used to work on the road for weeks to months at a time. Sitting in a hotel room at night with nothing to do....
    To this day I can't stand the TV on in a hotel room or even at the beach house. I do always make sure I have a Kindle, iPad, a book with paper pages, a magazine or two, and most important, paper and pencil! For the beach house I might take my chip carving stuff, sketch pad, spinning wheel, keyboard or guitar, and Legos!

Now my Lovely Bride (of 47 years) does watch TV - she loves cooking shows and travel shows (and I benefit ) Her vision is failing so we bought a 60" screen! But when traveling she never turns on a TV either. (She did read about 60 books last year.)

When I was maybe 8 or 10 my family got a TV (a tiny B&W screen). After a few months it broke and my mother refused to have another one in the house saying it was the biggest waste of time she'd ever seen. I spent my time at the piano, singing, reading, drawing, taking things apart, and making new things. And blowing up stuff with the chemistry set...

JKJ

"Like sand thru an hour glass ,so are The Days Of Our Lives" .....a public service message from TV.