Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Willys wagon anyone?

Old Willys wagon anyone?

I have a bug to restore an old Willys wagon like they stopped making in 1963, just like them and never owned one. Anybody here have one?

Its my other hobby. Taking the money I make doing woodwork and wasting it on cars. Other than that I would be perfect!

Those are a pretty kewel vehicles and it would likely be a fun project if you can find one for your project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Save yourself some (a lot of) money and 1000 headaches bybuying this one (http://willysforsale.com/ads/1961-willys-wagon-4wd-mostly-restored/)I purchase one (minimal rust) and started a rebuild long ago with the goal ofcreating a daily driver. Rebuilt a Chevy 350, swapped transmissions (automatic)and then reality stepped in. A driver needed disc brakes, new suspension,custom exhaust, complete rewire, new seats with belts, new interior, a good heater and AC and muchmore. I finally sold it in parts.

I don't have one, but it sure sounds like a fun project Larry. Be sure to post picturex if you buy one!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Not much to them. Probably restore them over a summer. Do they even have brakes?
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Do they even have brakes?
    Ain't that what trees is for?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    We used to have a lot of them here, but they have rust issues and I haven’t seen one in a while. I have had a ‘53 and ‘54 Willys Jeep- one original, and one with an engine swap. I almost bought one of the wagons and was sternly warned not to due to the rust issues. Get an old Bronco- easier to get parts for and less rust issues.

If I buy one I will be taking a trip to the desert SW, being from Michigan I am well aware of rust. This will not be a daily driver, just a toy. It will also not be my first rodeo, have owned over 200 cars/trucks, kind of a weakness of mine.

I just want it for tooling around the national forests, I do not nor will I ever live in an even remotely urban environment, so my worries about traffic are non existent. I have a 260 Ford V8 sitting on the engine stand all rebuilt so I have to buy something to put it in. See how that works?

Blog Entries
    Had one back in the late 70's.
    Rebuilt the motor and added Warn overdrive and Warn hubs.
    If you keep the original engine, you should get the overdrive for today's highway driving.

Howard Garner

I've owned a couple of Willys jeeps. If I were going to buy another one, this is what I would do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ILUCASgvO0&t=9s

I recently sold my '48 Jeepster. 327 Chebby/PG, same body and frame. My biggest problem was the steering box which is an oddball Ross unit.After four rebuilds on two boxes, it still had steering problems. The guy I sold it to got a junkyard Saturn electric PS unit, and that solved the extremely hard steering problem.The 327 fit great, but check your 260, as it might be too long because of the water pump.

I assume you are thinking 2WD. Ever see the seven passenger version of the wagon? Two bench seats for six, plus a single sideways jump seat in the 'back back' for the 7th.

PS: You win...I have only had about 120 cars.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 03-04-2018 at 2:52 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I might keep an original engine for the summer, but I have had a few, and flatheads bite. The 260 I have came out of a same series Willys truck I put a Hemi in a few years ago, so I have all the stuff to just bolt it back up. 260 has the dizzy in the front where they belong.

Rick, there is a guy here I know that has a Jeepster with a 283, stock. It drives really nice. I am going to build a 4wd however. I have a wrecked TJ that I am going to use for the suspension/axles/tcase.

John, saw that video. To me the swap to a YJ is kind of a step sideways, where the TJ is a huge advancement in capability.

I wish we had a section for these older Jeep-related vehicles at the Jeep Garage forum, but unfortunately, there's not a good place for this kind of build. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I wish we had a section for these older Jeep-related vehicles at the Jeep Garage forum, but unfortunately, there's not a good place for this kind of build. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
    Ya, I checked that forum out in my searches, not a lot on old stuff. I have an advantage, my brother owns the Jeep Superstore so parts and knowledge are easy to come by. Getting harder to crawl around a car but I still have my fab skills from years of off road racing. I still build headers for some pro teams. I am going to try not to get too carried away, object is to use it to explore, not a hobby. We will see how that goes, I have an overkill issue.

On the subject of Mopar products, my brother bought an RT10. Drove it yesterday, and I have to say Dodge did their homework. Drives like a Viper.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 03-05-2018 at 6:37 AM.

My Jeeps were of the Willys era and were not really designed for hi-way driving. They were always "loose" as there was wear and play in everything. The YJ running gear puts modern dependability under the classic body.