Thread: Bamboo Plywood supplier recommendations?

Bamboo Plywood supplier recommendations?

I'm needing a large quantity of bamboo plywood (50+ sheets) for a project, and looking for recommendations. After doing some research, there are quite a few manufacturers - PlyBoo, Ambient, Teragren, CaliBamboo etc.

Looking for 3/4", 'edge grain', carmelized bamboo plywood. I am curious who makes the best product at a reasonable price? Preferably something with very few voids!

For reference, I'm looking for a three-ply material like this: https://www.calibamboo.com/product-p...012001700.html

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ben Aroh; 03-02-2018 at 3:58 PM.

Geography matters, Ben...especially when you're looking for a supplier. Your profile doesn't indicate what area you are in (please add that with at least a general location) and add that to this thread so folks can help you out!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sorry - new here. I'm in Louisville. Although I'm looking formanufacturer recommendations - the main ones I've found are PlyBoo, Teragren, Ambient & CaliBamboo
    But yes, I'll likely have to purchase through my local distributor in the Louisville / Cincinnati area!

I used Teregren for years with NO problems

The few times I've priced out bamboo plywood, reasonably priced wasn't an option, but it's been a few years. In curious what you come up with

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    The few times I've priced out bamboo plywood, reasonably priced wasn't an option, but it's been a few years. In curious what you come up with
    Yea, I got that impression from another local 'Creeker who did a job with it recently. Beautiful material, but "ching...ching..." Whoda thought that grass could cost so much?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok- for those curious, I got a price for PlyBoo brand -- 4x8 3/4" at $185 per sheet (25 sheets). Teregren was much higher - $258 per sheet for the same thing. However, I'm going to try a different Teregren distributor. Most of my research seems to suggest Teregren has the best product (fewest voids). And because we are cutting small parts, this is important to me.

For 2 full lifts you should be able to price shop through a couple suppliers. Not sure how many are in your neighborhood, but I'd try to check out several before deciding.

For those who haven't used it.... it's not actually plywood, but multiple layers of bamboo that are sliced into narrow strips, then glued together in one of several alternating patterns. meaning more work involved than standard ply which is one of the reasons for the higher cost. I haven't had a chance to use out yet, luckily, but priced it out a while back for a jobs. I can say from my very limited exposure that the stuff splinters like crazy when you cut it.....so good luck with your project!

JeffD

Teregren is the best of the three brands I've tried, including Plyboo. Fewest internal voids, flattest.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Teregren is the best of the three brands I've tried, including Plyboo. Fewest internal voids, flattest.
    Ever try building a 5 piece door out of the stuff? It looks wicked, but eventually the joints all pop.

Martin is this true?

I’m mid build of a bath vainity. It is a basic slab style lower with the grain oriented on the horizontal then a tower that sits on the stone top that is inset but again grain on the horizon at.

Per the architect the upper portion had to be built out of two sheet on the horizontal to get the height. This far I joined the pieces or two sheets with dominoes and glue. I added a small curf at these joints that align with the shadow lines of the doors. These curfs also travel through the face frames ‘also made of the bamboo ply”.

My consent with your comment is the side is miter wrapped into the the face frame that as mentioned above also bamboo ply. Then the rest of the face frame is also dominoes and glued together at it’s joints. Maybe I would be better off with pocket screws and glue than dominoes and pocket screw for these little style rail joints.

It's been enough years that I can't recall the pricing, but we sourced bamboo ply and dimensional lumber from Northwest Bamboo https://nwbamboo.com/. I know shipping may be an issue to Louisville, but maybe worth a call given your quantity? The quality was not an issue, but then I've never compared to the others mentioned.
    Edwin

Sorry we get ours from Atlantic Plywood.

I believe it’s $180-200 a sheet and it’s the Teregren. Really nice stuff all and all. I’m not a fan of plywood at all but even I like this stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Martin is this true?

I’m mid build of a bath vainity. It is a basic slab style lower with the grain oriented on the horizontal then a tower that sits on the stone top that is inset but again grain on the horizon at.

Per the architect the upper portion had to be built out of two sheet on the horizontal to get the height. This far I joined the pieces or two sheets with dominoes and glue. I added a small curf at these joints that align with the shadow lines of the doors. These curfs also travel through the face frames ‘also made of the bamboo ply”.

My consent with your comment is the side is miter wrapped into the the face frame that as mentioned above also bamboo ply. Then the rest of the face frame is also dominoes and glued together at it’s joints. Maybe I would be better off with pocket screws and glue than dominoes and pocket screw for these little style rail joints.

You're probably fine on both accounts. The boxwork will add some strength and stability.

I swiped some scraps from the shop next door a few years ago and made a raised panel sample door. It looked cool, but I think three out of the four coped joints failed. Too much material moving in too many directions.

Maybe cool isn't the right term. Unique is probably better. I do way too many shaker style painted doors so anything out of the ordinary has it's appeal.