Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drum sander: Supermax or Woodmaster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drum sander: Supermax or Woodmaster

Hi all,

I recognize that many similar topics are out there but I have not yet come across this specific comparison.

I’m looking at drum sanders and I believe have narrowed the field to the following

Supermax 25x2 (double drum, 25” fixed width) - $2,429
    Woodmaster 2675 (single drum, 26” fixed width) - $3,089
    Woodmaster 3875 (single drum, 38” fixed width) - $3,749
    Supermax 37x2 (double drum, 37” fixed width) - $4,679

From what I have read about these there seems to be a lot of personal preference.

I believe at this point I’m leaning toward the Supermax 25x2 as it appears that the Supermax has a more efficient paper changing system, and that having two drums is likely preferable to a single.

I keep going back and forth on this as the Woodmaster seems like a quality unit, but I can’t find much information on changing out the Woodmaster paper and I have a seen a few comments about people being dissatisfied with it.

Posting this as I’m interesting in where you would land with the above choices, and would be interested in reading your reasoning too.

Intended use is general hobbyist woodworking, starting with some end-grain cutting boards and utilizing it for sanding glued-up panels.

I have a A3-31 but that’s only 12” wide and also it sounds like the drum would work better for figured woods.

For handling a panel or benchtop wider than 24” I suspect the protocol would be to build it in two pieces, sand them, and then join together the two products.

I have a 5HP dust gorilla pro for DC.

Thank you for your time and responses, I sincerely appreciate it.

I did a lot of research and chose the SuperMax 25/50 single drum. I really only use it for rough sanding to get everything flat and finish sand with hand sanders.

I looked at the Woodmaster 26" single drum (used) but didn't like that the conveyor moved up and down, rather than the drum moving up and down. On the good side, it had a big motor but required two voltages - 240V, 30A for the motor and 120 for the conveyor. That's not terrible since you only install the power once.

A guy offered to sell me a 37" drum sander but it was just too big. I didn't have room in my shop. That's actually why he was selling it - he didn't have room for it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I went back and forth on drum sanders. I already had a Performax 22-44 Plus but I hated the abrasive style conveyor belt and getting the drum to stay perfectly parallel to the platen was a pain.
    I saw the sale at Woodmaster and called them. That call combined with their reputation here on SMC convinced me. I could tell that they offered outstanding customer service. I originally ordered the 38" single drum but switched to a 50" single drum model. With a 50" drum I can run multiple grits at the same time or super wide material. It was only a foot wider than the 38" sander so wouldn't take up much more room...

So far I'm loving this beast. I ordered it fully loaded with the extension table set, reversing switch, and casters. Yes it is big but IMO it is worth making room for.

Some things that were really important to me:
    1. Customer service. Mark McCandless was my sales rep and he has taken very good care of me.
    2. A real conveyor belt (not an abrasive coated belt). My 22-44 has an abrasive belt and I can't tell you how many times it slipped on the 'last pass' on a piece. When the conveyor does not feed the material at a consistent rate the piece will have waves in it from the drum. That means more passes and frustration (and time). Either the drive roller would slip against the conveyor or the conveyor would occasionally slip against the material. No more abrasive conveyors for me.
    3. Pressure rollers on the Woodmaster to reduce/prevent snipe. My 22-44 had snipe issues if I took off more than the thickness of a hair. Multiple passes were then needed without changing drum height to remove most of it.
    4. Powerful motors. The Supermax has a 5hp motor which is great but the conveyor motor appears to be average. The 50" Woodmaster comes with a high quality 7-1/2 hp motor and the conveyor motor is 1/2 hp DC. I'll soon be running 200 pound walnut slabs through it. I would be worried about a smaller conveyor motor. The downside for me is having to install a 50 amp outlet for this machine. Everything else I have runs on 30 amp outlets.
    5. Slower drum speed and a steel drum to run cooler and cut down burning wood. Multiple passes on my other sander caused me grief when it heated up one of the chaotic cutting boards I was making as gifts and I ended up with a twist.
    6. Reversing switch. Far fewer laps from front to rear of the sander.
    7. The ability to run 2 or even 3 different grits at once for some projects.

Roger

Would you mind sharing your experience changing the paper?

Also I have read it’s harder for the Woodmaster to create flat and parallel surfaces due to the extra drum equipment such as Velcro and tape.

It’s not metal to metal like the supermax I am told.

I have zero experience so I am genuinely asking.

Also they said I’d have to tape one side when changing the paper?

Thank you.

This unit is brand new to me and just arrived last week so I have not had to change the paper yet. I did watch videos before deciding because initially I was against velcro thinking it would be harder to change and might not yield a flat surface. Their videos make it look easy.

If you take really shallow passes (which you should do with any drum sander) there should be no problem with flat surfaces. From what I understand the velcro could be a problem if you tried to take off a lot of material in one pass. It could heat the velcro and melt or otherwise damage it. That could result in an uneven surface running lengthwise on the workpiece. It has not happened to me. i have learned from the school of hard knocks to try to keep the passes at around 1/64" or less on all drum sanders.

There are no clamps on the drum so you tape one side with filament strapping tape. I have not changed the paper yet but the taping looks simple.
    Last edited by Roger Bull; 03-02-2018 at 8:47 PM.

I had the older models, Performax, which might have changed slightly. They are very slow but I liked the conveyor which is just a sanding belt and the metal drum. The paper was decent to change but you do need to be careful that the slack is taken up and recheck it after running the first board through it. Most of my paper burns came from just enough slack to overlap an edge and burn it. If the cut the taper on the end a bit too long, the end can get caught inside the drum so the belt isn't quite tight. The belt to belt contact ( rather than padded on either the drum or the waffle type conveyor ) delivered a very uniform thickness when I sanded my shap sawn veneer- usually 1/16 or 3/32". I seldom ran anything other than 80-120. finer grits tended to burn easily and a ROS is faster as a touch up than the drum. Dave

I have the 26” Woodmaster. My first drum sander was a Delta 18/36 open end. The difference is night & day between the two. The Delta did well on boards less than ~10” but wider than that it would start to taper from edge to edge.
    I have not found adjusting the conveyor table up or down to be a problem at all. Typically you are making very small adjustments.
    Maybe Woodmaster has changed their design but on mine the 5hp motor and the conveyor motor are the same voltage, using a single plug. A call to Woodmaster would confirm.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have the supermax 25" dual drum preceded by a performax 22/44. I like the sanding belt-on-metal drive and paper changes aren't bad.

The drive motor has plenty of power. The sander is very precise and will sand down to veneer thickness when needed.

Like David said, you need to pay attention to the sanding paper stretching or get burns. I can hear a flapping sound when it loosens.

These things are awesome for S4S so just about everything I make goes through.

I bought used for $800. I've had the machine in daily use for about 7 years with no issues.

Thanks everybody. This is turning out to be a tough decision.

Do any of you Woodmaster owners feel the drum / paper is “mushy” due to the hook and loop backing, and has that created any issues?

John were are you located? I have a woodmaster that you could come out and look at / run a few boards if you are interested. Or maybe someone in your area could do the same?

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    John were are you located? I have a woodmaster that you could come out and look at / run a few boards if you are interested. Or maybe someone in your area could do the same?

Richard
    Upper Michigan. The upper peninsula. Quite remote unfortunately, which means there is basically zero used market.

I don't know if this would make a difference but ThisIsWoodworking.com has Supermax sanders on sale for 10% off - https://thisiswoodworking.com/superm...rs-913002.html

Quote Originally Posted by John Sayen View Post
    Thanks everybody. This is turning out to be a tough decision.

Do any of you Woodmaster owners feel the drum / paper is “mushy” due to the hook and loop backing, and has that created any issues?
    Yes it is mushy, but causes no issues. It'll compress the same every pass.

As asked earlier, no problem holding thickness to within a few thousandths across the width.

Ed

I'm a hobbyist, but I've owned both a Performax 16x32 and 25x2 (older models) and both were good machines. I also have a Woodmaster 718 and the sanding drum works well. All three are good machines, though I would say that I prefer changing the velco sanding strip of the WM to the Performax clip system as I have big hands and you need some nimble digits to clip the paper. I haven't noticed that the "mushiness" of the WM paper caused any issues. I think you have to get feel for any of these machines and not put too much pressure on the paper.

If I were sanding a lot of cabinet doors or interior doors a wider double drum would be worthwhile. But if I really needed something that big, I would probably buy a widebelt. My $0.02

Blog Entries
    I think the challenge will be finding folks who have used both. We all tend to be a bit unconsciously biased in the praise or derision of the gear we have depending on how its doing for us. These very useful machines have a big footprint so you really need to think about what you will use it for mostly. I went with the home-shop-ish Supermax 19-38 after a lot of soul searching and it has worked out great. I was leaning heavily toward wider and double-drummed but, realized I would be sizing the machine for the exception as opposed to the rule.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler