Thread: Profile Sanders

Profile Sanders

I have some walnut that was cross cut and has been laying around for a while. Small pieces about 2-2.5" thick. In looking at it I decided to make some hooks out of it. I am getting the biggest cutting done on the bandsaw but need to shape the pieces some. They are to small to handle on the shaving horse, In order to shape them (soften and round out the hook). I was looking at some Combo Sanders at Grizzly and this one as well.
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/Kni...r-Buffer/G1015
    $600 is a lot of dough. From the back of the hook to the nose will be 6-8". How would you do it? Much obliged for any suggestions.

Sounds like something I'd use the Ridgid oscillating sander for. The various spindle sizes should cover you.

To echo the above suggestion a small spindle Sander would be better in my opinion. The rigid suggested above is really a pretty good little tool. It may be the only Ridgid tool I like. Another option for far Less expense would be a drum sanding kit for a Drill press.

Yes. Oscillating spindle sander sounds like what you really need. Lots of choices there. I picked up this one used for $250.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Osci...c-Sander/G0529

If you are going to lay down $600 for something, this type is far more versatile. Of course there are many other brands that are good too. Feedback on the rigid is generally pretty good.

I'm sure the Ridgid isn't the best out there, but it's hard to beat its versatility and cost. Oh, and there's that lifetime guarantee. It's a tool that I use a lot more than I thought I would.

The oscillation of both the spindles and the belt means less finish sanding. More sanding is not something I hear people asking for.

I went with the Ridgid and like the versatility and ease of changing between the belt and the spindle whenever needed. I considered a variety of sanders and the combination of versatility, quality and price-point brought me to the Ridgid which seems to fit into my personal needs quite well. The sander is located on my workbench / assembly table and across from my Laguna 18BX Bandsaw for quick and easy use & access.

Workbench 2.jpg