Thread: Centrifugal painted bowls

Centrifugal painted bowls

I was inspired by some pictures I saw on the forum some time back... (David Smith, I think). I had some very bland pieces of alder lying around and wanted to use them up. Below is the result. I obviously need to learn a lot more about paints, colors, and finishes but I think this is something I'll keep playing around with. C&C welcome...

IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg

Interesting, I have some small unfinished segmented vases I may do the same with. Thanks for showing your good work.

Very nice, the black & blue is my favorite.

2nd vote for the blue & black piece. What finish did you use on these? Kind of looks like WOP
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

#2 & #3 are really cool. Thanks for sharing.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Somebody has to say it, I like the first one. :-)
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

+1 on the blue and black. Are you working on the lathe or flat like on a turntable?
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    I was inspired by some pictures I saw on the forum some time back... (David Smith, I think). I had some very bland pieces of alder lying around and wanted to use them up. Below is the result. I obviously need to learn a lot more about paints, colors, and finishes but I think this is something I'll keep playing around with. C&C welcome...
    IMG_0018.jpg
    Beautiful! I especially like the colors and contrast in the last one. The dark nicely frames the natural wood of the bowl and the complimentary color of the two layer blue wash and rays perfectly excite the eye.

Reminds me that when I was a kid the county fairs had booths where you could dribble paint on spinning pieces of cardboard. I tried that at home and made a very nice mess. For more inspiration look up spin art https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_art I like the look of the slow spin too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NjD7aEfao

JKJ

Thanks for the kind words.... I think I'll keep playing with the idea.

the finish is rattle can spray lacquer.

Im leaving it on the lathe to spin the paint. I made a surround out of a very large and old stainless steel camera film developing bath tub. It's like a huge pot, but thin metal. A cardboard box would work fine but I had one laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Very nice, the black & blue is my favorite.
    Mine too!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”