Thread: Hall Trees

Hall Trees

A conversation a while back with my chiropractor revealed that he sometimes also adjusts dogs and my 9 year old has had back issues for almost 2 years. After a couple of adjustments my buddy now thinks he's about 2 years old. My chiropractor told me to bring him anytime I thought he needed adjusting. Since he doesn't charge for this service and he knew I am a woodworker I asked if there was anything I could make for him.

He asked for a couple of hall trees. So I came up with this design and made them out of red oak. The trees will be sitting on carpeting but I also put mostly recessed silicon pads on the bottom in case they are ever used on a hard surface. The large "X" that makes up the bottom is removable via one long 5/16" lag bolt and four 3" deck screws. The black balls are inexpensive screw on machine lever balls. I had to flatten the threaded end and decided to modify the shiny surface with rough sandpaper to help keep coats from slipping off.

I hope he likes them. I'll be delivering them on Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a great solution!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hundred years from now they will be in a museum, dated to 1960, and described as " Sputnik Inspired"

Very nice, John. Nice design and nice details.

5. These are awesome, and love the shepherd!!

Thanks Travis. My chiropractor also thought they were great when I delivered them last Monday. My 9 year old shepherd is my buddy. Coincidentally, we both have back and arthritic issues in the same locations. Just getting old I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Thanks Travis. My chiropractor also thought they were great when I delivered them last Monday. My 9 year old shepherd is my buddy. Coincidentally, we both have back and arthritic issues in the same locations. Just getting old I guess.
    Hahaha. I have a 7 yr old buddy. Too damn smart, and can be a royal pain but they're awesome! This is Colonel

Blog Entries
    Great looking hall trees. I may copy the idea! How often do you visit the chiropractor to get your back fixed? I may also copy this idea!

Thanks Tom. I only go to my chiropractor when I know my back is out, usually about once a month during the winter. Slightly more often in warmer weather when I have more opportunities to think I'm still 30 years younger than I am.

I came up with this hall tree design thinking it would be simpler to make and assemble. But Mr. Murphy ended up bringing reality into the picture and they ended up being a little more time consuming than a single solid post design. But I learned a lot and if I ever make them again it will go a lot faster. One of the biggest issues was making the "V" pairs of hangers strong (I tend to over design). If you ever decide to copy this design PM me and I can give you the details of the problem areas.