Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worthwhile to "upgrade" from contractor saw to 1.5hp cabinet saw?

Thanks Philip, it's single phase wired for 220, no question on that.

Grant, take this from an Aussie working with hard West Australian timber - 1.5 hp would be a serious waste of time in my shop. I used 2 hp for 20 years, barely coping, and then upgraded to 3 hp. More recently I purchased a 4 hp Hammer K3, and the difference is night and day.

I get it that the contractor saw is a vintage with a great reputation and an emotional connection. However, as a tool, it would be inadequate for me, and I look at it as a sideways step ... especially considering the amount of work you will need to do to bring it back from the dead. As a restoration project it has appeal (I have restored cars for fun). As a replacement saw, per se, it has limited value. If you do go ahead, factor in the cost of a replacement 3 hp motor.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Look at the motor name plate. It most likely will be 1.5 HP on 120, and 2.0 HP on 240. Delta down rated motor on 120 to allow the use of a 15 amp plug. This meant it could be used anywhere, as 15 recp. are common in home situations. They did the same on contractor's saws. Often you see someone post that their motor is more powerful on 240, which is BULL.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    It's single phase, you can see a capacitor cover in the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Look at the motor name plate. It most likely will be 1.5 HP on 120, and 2.0 HP on 240. Delta down rated motor on 120 to allow the use of a 15 amp plug. This meant it could be used anywhere, as 15 recp. are common in home situations. They did the same on contractor's saws. Often you see someone post that their motor is more powerful on 240, which is BULL.
    Here's the plate, since it shows 19.2a @115 I doubt that's true, maybe on the older ones?
    6923_EEBB_9_D6_E_440_E_AAD0_D70_EEBEFA4_C6.jpg

Would I likely find a buyer for the 1.5 motor if I did decide to upgrade? Just wondering

Often you see someone post that their motor is more powerful on 240, which is BULL.
    It can be true, but indicates voltage drop due to inadequate wiring for the 120V line, not a difference in the motor itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Aldridge View Post
    Here's the plate, since it shows 19.2a @115 I doubt that's true, maybe on the older ones?
    Looks like a pretty strong 1.5hp to me. More like a 2hp.
    Mike

If dust collection is important, don't forget to factor in a motor cover and some means to attach a hose to the cabinet.

6923_EEBB_9_D6_E_440_E_AAD0_D70_EEBEFA4_C6.jpg
    19.2 amps X 115 Volts, divided by 746, equills 2.95 HP if motor was perfect in electric consumption. They aren't, so most likely it's a 2.0 HP motor.

19.2 amps X 115 Volts, divided by 746, equills 2.95 HP if motor was perfect in electric consumption. They aren't, so most likely it's a 2.0 HP motor.
    You need to include efficiency and power factor in that calculation. From the nameplate efficiency is 72% and power factor 71.8%.

19.2A x 115V x .72 x .718 divided by 746 = 1.53HP
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

My vote is it's a 2 hp motor. If run on 120 volts, it would trip a 20 amp breaker on startup and would need to be wired for 30 amps. I once ran a 2 hp air compressor on 120 volts, 30 amps with no problems.

The motor is rated at 1 1/2 HP by the manufacturer, so it should develop at least 1 1/2 HP but less than 2 HP. There is no reason Delta would intentionally under-rate the motor as horsepower is a big selling point for equipment. The 19.2/9.6 amp rating is closer to that of a newer 2 HP motor but the few 2 HP motors I have seen that can run on 120 volts are 20 amps or more on 120 volts. Most 2 HP motors I have seen are 240 volt only for that reason. However, most 1 1/2 HP motors are dual voltage and the OP's 1 1/2 HP saw being dual voltage makes sense.
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 03-05-2018 at 9:01 AM.

Well $325 and a half hour of disassembly later it's in the truck!

Well $325 and a half hour of disassembly later it's in the truck!
    Good deal! Please remember that pics of the restoration process are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    Looks like a pretty strong 1.5hp to me. More like a 2hp.
    Mike, motor current doesn't translate into HP in a meaningful way.

The nameplate shows that both efficiency and power factor are .72

115V X 19.2A X .72 X .72 /746 = 1.53 HP.

It's a 19.2 ampere motor with poor efficiency and power factor, so it really is only 1.5HP

regards, Rod.