Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worthwhile to "upgrade" from contractor saw to 1.5hp cabinet saw?

Worthwhile to "upgrade" from contractor saw to 1.5hp cabinet saw?

I’ve got a craftsman 113 saw now and it cuts great with some shortcomings –
    -5/4+ hardwood makes it struggle (I could try a thin kerf rip blade, currently using a full kerf marathon for ripping)
    -it is a chore to tilt the blade to 45, I just haven’t wanted to do a full tear down but that should be fixable.
    -the arbor is short so I can't run a 3/4 dado stack
    Mine has a T2 fence.

I’ve got an opportunity to buy a kinda rusty but supposedly in good working order right tilt unisaw for $400 but it’s got a 1.5hp motor. It has a Vega fence.
    What do the Creekers think?

9_BF35_DBA_26_ED_4_AB3_AF4_E_C9_CC59_D5_B5_C4.jpg

Last edited by Grant Aldridge; 03-01-2018 at 1:50 PM.

"What should I do" threads like this are difficult, only you can gauge whether your current saw is inadequate to what you want to do with it. A cabinet saw is great, so long as it's in good working condition and has the abilities that you need to do what you want to do. At $400, that's a good deal on a cabinet saw, assuming that it works well and that you can get the rust off. Is it something you need to jump on no matter what? I don't know. I'm not in your shop every day. I don't know how you work or what you make. I don't know what kind of space you have in your shop. I would certainly go take a look at the saw to see if you think it's worth buying, but only you can weigh all of the options and make that decision.

I would personally enjoy buying that Unisaw and cleaning it up.

It is not much of a safety upgrade over your existing saw, but will surely be an upgrade in its functionality and a better platform for future upgrades.

I use a 1.75HP SawStop PCS and the power is good enough for me.

Thanks Brian, I should've written that a little differently. I know it's largely a personal decision I'm just wondering if the 1.5 motor on the cabinet saw is a major downside. I've been working a lot more with 2"+ antique heart pine which has been pushing my saw to the limit. My gut says keep what I've got till I find (or decide to buy new) a 3hp saw

I agree with Brian about each individual scenario being different, but let me fling some more spaghetti at the wall and see if any of it sticks.

I've read thread after thread about how people can't get a 113 saw to cut anything bigger than plywood or 4/4 soft white pine and I don't understand it. I have one. Mine's a 1988 model if anyone's interested. I threw the stock fence in the trash after a long 3 years and put a Vega on it, and lo and behold, it became a usable saw! Man, what a difference that made. My blade is aligned very well with the miter slots, as is the fence. No PALS, just the occasional whack with a hammer when it gets out of alignment. Very simple setup on these, just takes a little time. I use a combination blade from Woodworker's Tool Works for most cuts, and change out to a Freud 30 tooth glue line rip blade for any significant rip cut I need to make. This is NOT a thin kerf blade. I don't like them and won't go back to one. YMMV. But with a full kerf reasonably priced 30 tooth rip blade (which is not THAT aggressive - plenty of 24 tooth options out there), I've successfully ripped 8/4 white oak, hickory, pecan, cherry, walnut, maple, honey locust, and several others, all with great results.

The Unisaw is definitely an upgrade, but if you're willing to put in the time to restore that particular saw to a usable condition (plus the time to drive there and bring it home), why not throw a few hours into the saw you've got and see if you can fix the problem before replacing it because something else might do something a little better? And seriously, give one of those Freud rip blades a try. It'll work on the Unisaw too if the 113 just doesn't work out for you.

Hi, 1.5HP is plenty of power for a 10 inch table saw, properly adjusted using the correct blade.

The issue with older saws is that sometimes they lack safety devices such as splitters/riving knives and guards. This isn't an insurmountable issue, splitters and guards can be purchased, and it's not only old machines, sometimes new machines need additional guards.

I added a $400 guard to a new $10K saw/shaper because I wanted to be able to perform non through cuts, and the factory guard couldn't be used for that.

At the price you're looking at, you could spend $500 to $600 on safety improvements and have a really nice saw.......Regards, Rod.

I have both saws you are considering. I bought a cast iron Sears saw with a 1 HP motor on it. Tilting it to 45° is a PITA. Cutting 8/4 stock on it is slow, even with a thin kerf blade. I got a 1954 Unisaw for free minus a motor. I found a 1.5 HP Rockwell motor to fit it and that's what I've been using now for about 10 years. It cuts 8/4 stock well enough with a low tooth ripping blade, or a thin kerf ripping blade. 3 HP would be better for thick stock, for sure, but it's fine. Cutting bevels with the Unisaw is a dream. The trunions move easily and smoothly and the cuts are perfectly parallel with the blade. It's a joy to use. I had to change the arbor bearings after using it a couple of years but that wasn't too hard.

I actually put both saws together with one 52" Vega Pro fence across both, and like the combo a lot.

There was no splitter or guard on the saw when I got it, so I adapted an old Sears guard to it, mounted to the ceiling. I also made a splitter, actually several, but this is the one used most of the time.

I would not hesitate to buy that saw if it's in good shape internally. It's a huge step up over the Sears.

John

The Unisaw would be a good upgrade from a contractor saw. A Unisaw or a clone of one is a LOT more saw than a Sears contractor saw- it's heavier, more solid, typically has a significantly better fence, and keeps its adjustments far better. My Dad has a 1 hp Craftsman contractor saw and its capabilities are about what you describe for yours. I attribute quite a bit of that to the saw being difficult to keep in good adjustment and a saw binding up because the fence or blade are out of square robs a bunch of power.

$400 is a fair but not great price for that Unisaw. It is missing the goose egg (motor cover) and the motor starter is banged up or hacked up and may need replaced, but it does have an apparently complete fence which is grossly better than the stuff Sears put on most of their saws. A complete Unisaw in good condition sells for about $700 or so. You can also get much larger motors for a right tilt Unisaw, 3 hp units were available in the newer ones like the one you posted a picture of. 3 hp in a well adjusted 10" cabinet saw is pretty much unstoppable unless you have a really wrong or really dull blade on it.

If you want a 10" cabinet saw that's a bit of a project, that's not a bad one. I don't know exactly how big of a saw you want, but the Delta 12/14 would be extremely unlikely to ever be "too little" and can often be had for not that much more than a 10" Unisaw.

$400 is a bit steep for a saw in that condition. No dust door or motor cover (that vintage didn’t have a goose egg by the way), and it’s going to take a lot of elbow grease. I restored my ‘55 and I really enjoyed it but it takes time and money (tools and consumables). If you don’t mind the rust bucket look leave the cabinet alone, but you’ll need to give a good cleanup to the top, likely arbor bearings and belts, and possibly cleanup and grease the trunion gears. Motor might need bearings too. I’d say you’re at a minimum of $200 more to get it working properly and smoothly (the seller may not have the standards we have!). $400 more to make it pretty.

If it was me and I wanted it, I’d offer $250 and see what the seller comes back with. Tell him/her how much work you need to do with it.

Before you hand over the cash, check that the motor fires up (and is 1 phase, otherwise add $150 for a vfd), check that the table is flat, height goes fully up and down, and tilt goes all the way. Also check the trunion teeth are all intact.

I have a Powermatic 66 with a 1.5 hp motor. It does everything I need just fine. I had a Craftsman contractor saw and the Powermatic is a huge step up.

I'm thinking sears may lie a bit on the motor's power. I'm basing that on my Craftsman 5 hp air compressor that runs on 120 volts, and a Craftsman 6 hp lawnmower that had a 3 1/2 hp engine on it.

400 is a good price considering the fence is worth 150 to 200 alone. Clean it up and see how it runs. You can always swap out the motor at some point if you feel it’s underpowered. Even if you still need so put some money into it you will end up with a good saw for reasonable money.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I have a Powermatic 66 with a 1.5 hp motor. It does everything I need just fine. I had a Craftsman contractor saw and the Powermatic is a huge step up.

I'm thinking sears may lie a bit on the motor's power. I'm basing that on my Craftsman 5 hp air compressor that runs on 120 volts, and a Craftsman 6 hp lawnmower that had a 3 1/2 hp engine on it.
    Considering the front of saw says 3hp and in small text "max developed" yeah I'd say so haha

I'm going Monday to see it in person, if it's functioning and running I'll be bringing it home
    Thanks guys!

Bringing a Unisaw back to life is a great project and you will have a great saw when done. I too, put a Vega fence on mine and did a lot of work with that saw The price is right. I would do it in a heartbeat. When I got mine years back it was rusted pretty badly. I cleaned the top up with WD-40 and a 320 disc on my random orbit polisher. It came back really nicely. That saw is not that old either. The electrics look good. I used the Sawshop in Springfield, MA for parts and info. They were great. I also built a motor cover that I could hang the fence, Accumiter, etc on and added a dust collection port. Some tempered hardboard ramps in the bottom and the dust collection worked very well. Get that saw

The Unisaw looks to need some TLC, but it's a much more substantial saw with greater potential than your 113, and the Vega fence is excellent. The Delta 1.5hp motor is likely to have a tad more oomph than your 113 motor, but it isn't likely to be a huge difference. In either case, a good quality 3/32" thin kerf blade should be much easier for either motor to spin....lower tooth count, like a 24T ripper will be easier yet. The only Irwin blades I'd even consider on either saw would be their Marples series.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

It's single phase, you can see a capacitor cover in the picture.