Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight OBD Scan Tool

Harbor Freight OBD Scan Tool

All

I have a '97 Chev Blazer (S10 style) w/ the 4.3 V6 and 243K miles on the odometer.

I've been battling the Service/Check engine soon light for months. Most recent fix was a
    new fuel injection system - engine does run better w/ the replacement, but just a week passed by
    and the light is on again.

So I am looing at getting a code reader - at least try to thin out the nuisance codes - like loose gas
    caps, etc.

I checked the Harbor Freight gems lists, haven't seen any listed on them.

Your comments are appreciated.

I have an ELM327 bluetooth reader that stays plugged into the port, and use the Torque app with my Android phone. I think it cost me 8 bucks for the ELM unit. There is also an iPhone app.
    It reads all functions, and allows you to reset the fault codes.
    Search Ebay for elm327
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android for last two years. It is save me a lot of time and money going to dealer read the codes.

Ed.

Blog Entries
    I have the orange one that Autocraft/Western Auto sells, and it works great. Very basic screen with LCD readout, but it gets the job done, and has saved me a ton of money, especially with the ABS sensor on Jeep Libertys that is a constant problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I have an ELM327 bluetooth reader that stays plugged into the port, and use the Torque app with my Android phone. I think it cost me 8 bucks for the ELM unit. There is also an iPhone app.
    It reads all functions, and allows you to reset the fault codes.
    Search Ebay for elm327
    I have this too, works great and has gotten me out of a few bad situations by being able to clear codes while driving.

Blog Entries
    What have cars now gotten past the old Click & Clack (the Tappet Brothers) black tape fix?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What have cars now gotten past the old Click & Clack (the Tappet Brothers) black tape fix?

jtk
    Yea, they have. And some of the most recent models now have firewalls on the port which means you have to use an approved device to access. Tinkering is harder these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had no problems scanning codes on my 2007, 2012, and 2017 Fords with this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Compared to the cheaper ones it allows connecting to more of the onboard modules in the newer vehicles. As I understand, my 2017 has a small computer in each door, one in the shifter, one in the "radio", etc, etc, etc, etc. I've used it with both my laptop and an Android phone. Yes, my 2017 has had a CEL twice, once because the dealer damaged an O2 sensor during other service and once because I left the air temp sensor unplugged after changing the air filter .

BTW, I'm FAR from an expert for this stuff but there are codes that you can clear to reset the CEL that will pop up again after a short time. You need to complete a "drive cycle" to actually clear them. Ran into that on a car we used to have with a $40 sensor that failed (common issue that later turned into a recall so we got a check from Ford to cover what I paid for the part!) Once I replaced it, my wife had to drive about 100 mixed miles to actually clear the code.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-01-2018 at 8:55 PM.

I’ve got this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WP...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    for my ‘04 with 130k. Works like a charm. I use it with a free app (OBDCarDoctor).
    Fixed my front O2 sensor with it’s help and I know my CEL is on because of an evap code from a pin hole leak. Very handy to have with an older car.

I've been using: https://www.amazon.com/iSaddle-Bluet...le+obd+scanner for three years with the Torque Pro app on my phone. Love it!

I purchased the Veepeak mini unit that Matt Day pointed to in his post (#9). Also downloaded OBDCarDoctor from the App Store, put it on my Kindle Fire.

Tried to make the WiFi connetion, the Kindle see's it, my cell phone can see it, but CarDoctor is being stupid, doesn't see the VeePeak. It appears to want a
    Blue Tooth connection, as all the connection options have BT as a prefix to the given selection.

Looks like I wasted $11 for the VeePeak and the little devil isn't even heavy enough to use as a paper weight. So I'll be back to Amazon to get a blue tooth unit....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Laumann View Post
    I purchased the Veepeak mini unit that Matt Day pointed to in his post (#9). Also downloaded OBDCarDoctor from the App Store, put it on my Kindle Fire.

Tried to make the WiFi connetion, the Kindle see's it, my cell phone can see it, but CarDoctor is being stupid, doesn't see the VeePeak. It appears to want a
    Blue Tooth connection, as all the connection options have BT as a prefix to the given selection.

Looks like I wasted $11 for the VeePeak and the little devil isn't even heavy enough to use as a paper weight. So I'll be back to Amazon to get a blue tooth unit....
    My Kindle Fire has Blue Tooth.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Jim

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your truck is old,and that's actually good thing.
    Any basic reader will work with your truck. You don't need anything too exotic, and it won't help you. Mine came from AutoZone and I think it was about $30.00. The rest of the stuff for my Mini Coopers was much, much more.
    Get a basic reader.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've had a reader from HF for 6 or 7 years, it was the cheapest one they had at the time. I have used it quite a bit, and it works well.

Local Autozone reads codes for free. They used to use just a hand held unit, which wasn't very specific. Now take readings on a hand held, and then transfer them to a remote computer which tells the problem.