Thread: Felder Dado/Grooving Setup Question

Felder Dado/Grooving Setup Question

I have a Felder KF500 that I'm setting up to make a relatively narrow groove (11/32) using a Forrest Dado stack. I've used the stack before for larger dados and no issues. The manual for the saw states that for grooving less than 10mm (11/32" is less than 10mm) that I'm supposed to use an extra spacer on the arbor side of the stack. However, when I do that it pushes the outside blade of the dado stack EXTREMELY close to the sliding table, like less than a 1/64 and doesn't seem right to me. Have any other folks with a Felder or Hammer saw encountered this? I'm wondering if the spacer is specific to the special Felder/Hammer grooving cutter and doesn't apply to a more traditional dado stack like I have?

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom, I've got a Hammer slider and the Forrest dado set. It does seem like the dado functionality is not as "refined" as other parts of the saw.

I'd also be nervous about running it with the dado stack so near the sliding table. When the brake applies, (on my saw, at least) it causes a bit of a "shudder" in the blade that causes it to deflect a bit. This is noticeable if you stop the saw while the workpiece is still touching the blade. I'd be nervous about having the blade hit the sliding table (although, being aluminum, maybe it wouldn't hurt the blade, but I'd be upset if it nicked the table).

My saw came with 3-4 different sized spacers, which I assume can be stacked in different combinations to position the dado stack as needed. I had actually forgotten I had these, but you might want to check if you have them, too.

On my Hammer B3 the single spacer is removed from the arbour and the groover registers against the fixed flange on the arbour.

If the groover is too thin, a spacer is inserted on the outboard end of the spindle between the cap and the groover.

Note that on my saw, I have a normal, and a deep cap which are used depending upon the depth required...........Rod.

P.S. the above applies regardless of whether you have a shaper type or saw type dado cutter.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 03-01-2018 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Added post script

Ok, maybe I am misinterpreting the manual, and the spacer is meant to go on the outside of the dado stack?? The manual doesn’t show where the blades are in the diagram, so not exactly the clearest instructions. Like the B3, the saw was supplied with two “caps” — one for a single, regular saw blade and a deeper one for dad stacks and a longer arbor screw for the dado, as well. I’ll change the setup tomorrow and see if it makes more sense with the spacer on the outside.

Thanks.

You're welcome Tom, that will solve your problem..............Rod.