Thread: Table top roller stand?

Table top roller stand?

I have a table top drill press at one end of a workbench. Because it has such a short quill stroke, I have to adjust the table height often. The problem comes when I am drilling holes in long stock that can't be supported by my Woodpeckers drill press table. I have been stacking blocks of wood and a final pair of cedar shingles to support long stock at the drill press table height I am using. I can imagine having something as simple as a camera tripod with a crank to hold up the end. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find a commercial roller stand that adjusts in the short range i need, about 12" to 24". It doesn't have to support much more than 20 pounds.

You should be able to easily construct some simple adjustable height supports....just think of them as a miniature version of something floor standing. Height adjustment could simply be wing nuts that ride in a slot with a dowel in the same slot a few inches away to keep things aligned. Personally, I'd want just a flat support rather than rollers for this particular application with a DP so your workpiece is less prone to shifting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You could make a small lift using a car scissor jack as the lift mechanisim. Build a box within a box and use the jack to move the boxes. These can be found on ebay for about $15 search for sissor jack.

Or a ready made solution would be a motor cycle stand. These can be found on ebay for $40 to $50 search for motorcycle lift. Those would be very steady as you push boards over it. Well made, sturdy, right size.

Both could be adjusted with a cordless drill very easily.
    1 lift sissor jack.jpg1 lift.jpg1 lift 2.jpg1 lift 3.jpg
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 03-02-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie Hunt View Post
    You could make a small lift using a car scissor jack as the lift mechanisim. Build a box within a box and use the jack to move the boxes. These can be found on ebay for about $15 search for sissor jack.
    Home Depot has them for the same price locally...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...