Thread: Turntable Chassis

Turntable Chassis

In the early '80s I was somewhat of an audio nut and purchased a very nice German turntable. It's been in mothballs the last few years along with my vinyl record collection. I had a small plumbing issue in my storage room, and the resulting moisture spoiled the turntable chassis. Turns out what appeared to be mahogany was actually MDF with veneer and it swelled up and split at the corner miters. Thankfully I caught the issue almost immediately so there was no other damage to the turntable or other components.

I made the new chassis from solid cherry. It was a bit tricky to remove all the interior glue blocks, hardware, labels and such from the original and add them to the new one. My goal was to reproduce the chassis so only an expert could tell it wasn't original. I got pretty close.

Finish schedule is two applications of Transtint warm brown dye in water, three applications of Watco Danish oil in the Cherry flavor, a couple coats of shellac, and Briwax brown paste wax to finish.

Here's what it looked like when new:

After:

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Nice work and a nice save for an old turn table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think you did a lovely job on that restoration and with the great increase in vinyl these days, that turntable should come in handy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice restoration, Rob. Should be good for another generation...