Thread: Delta 20" bandsaw

Delta 20" bandsaw

I've been looking at several used bandsaws. I just found a delta 20". It was used by a school in Sonoma county ca for years. Unfortunately it sat outside for 2 years. Table top is rusty of course. Apparently the tires appear okay. It still runs according to seller. It has a 1.5 magnetek century 1.5 hp motor. I've been wanting a saw for resawing. I've got a little 14" delta for small stuff. What should I offer if anything. Thanks

1.5hp seems really small for a 20" saw, although "back in the day", motors were, um...more powerful...for their stated horsepower. Relative to your question...I don't know what number is right, but are you up to the restoration job? It's not just money, it's also time that will come out of your "woodworking budget". Also, is the rust just surface rust or is it really deeply pitted? That's going to matter because it's the difference between cleanup and re-milling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can't help you with the pricing thing (I live by the OWWM rule on this), but I've got a 20" rockwell with a 2hp 3 phase motor and it recently resawed 11 inches of white oak without a grumble. 1.5 hp will probably get you by just fine. For any resawing operation, you shouldn't be expecting to shove wood through it as fast as you can, so the horsepower isn't a deal killer if you back off on the feed speed. The saw's condition might be enough to put it out of the equation, but those are good saws and worth taking a look at.

I've only seen pictures. The top looks like it has been in the rain for a few years. I've never restored a machine so I don't know what it would be like. I'd think it would have to be re milled. It's hard to believe someone would put a saw outside

How much are they asking for it? I wouldn't want to pay more than maybe $300 for it considering the work that is likely required to bring it back to snuff. What's the resaw height? A lot of those old Deltas only had about 12". With a 1.5 HP it won't be a huge improvement over a 14" Delta with riser and 1.5 HP motor. Better, but no where near what it could do with a 3 HP motor. If your motivation is a saw for resawing I don't think you're going to be happy with the motor that's in it now.

John

If it has only been outside for this winter the rust will only be surface rust. This drought has saved that saw. probably less then 3-5" of rain total this season. Maybe 5-8 total rainy days this season. Nothing like last year.
    I would see if you can unbolt the table and remove it. If the table is not rusted and locked in place I would buy it. You should remove the table before moving it anyway.

Tires are cheap probably less then $30 for both. You can always add a bigger motor later.

That’s a lot of machine for a first restoration project. Do you have a plan for moving it? Is the motor single phase? Lots of things to consider.

It takes a lot of rust to pit a table so much it’s not useable. Resurfacing (Blanchard grinding likely) is a last resort, but a few years in Cali shouldn’t be that bad.

It will be a huge improvement over a 14” saw. Stiffer frame = more tension = Bigger blades. Could always swap the motor if it’s underpowered.

As far as price, it all depends on condition. They sell in good operating condition for $1000 - $2000 I think. Figure out how much your time is worth and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    That’s a lot of machine for a first restoration project. Do you have a plan for moving it? Is the motor single phase? Lots of things to consider.

It takes a lot of rust to pit a table so much it’s not useable. Resurfacing (Blanchard grinding likely) is a last resort, but a few years in Cali shouldn’t be that bad.

It will be a huge improvement over a 14” saw. Stiffer frame = more tension = Bigger blades. Could always swap the motor if it’s underpowered.

As far as price, it all depends on condition. They sell in good operating condition for $1000 - $2000 I think. Figure out how much your time is worth and go from there.
    YES! I had one of those at work before I retired...........HEAVY! The motor phase is an issue to look into as Matt posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Tires are cheap probably less then $30 for both. You can always add a bigger motor later.
    Tires are cheap, but not for this saw. It uses special tires with a ridge that snaps into a groove in the wheels. Last I checked they were about $250 for a pair.

I have the newer version of the Delta 20". It's a good solid saw and with 2 hp has never let me down and I use it mainly for re-sawing. Surface rust isn't a big deal. However other things like bearings and motor are probably toast being left outside for so long. It may well be "running", but I'd not expect it to for long without some attention. As mentioned already the tires on some of these have a tongue that sits in a groove on the wheel, and while they are pricey, it makes for a pretty easy tire change without having to worry about train or gluing. I can't help you on what to offer without seeing it in person.

good luck,
    JeffD

I haven't seen that saw in Santa Cruz yet. That's about 4 hours away. I don't know about God's though. The owner of the saw is a super nice guy. He ended this saw in a trade. He's been doing light restoration on older delta machines for about 3 years. He said I it has a 1.5 single phase motor the brand is Magnetec century. I put an add in the Redding Ca Craigslist saying I wanted a larger bandsaw. I've got one person who offered to sell me that 24" Laguna for about 4k. Can't do it. Then this saw came up. Then another guy wants to sell me his Jet 18" with the 1.75 hp motor for $1500. I had 1k to spend then some stinking bill came up and ate $100. I should have another $300 in a few weeks. I posted about another saw a minmax s45. Seems like a great saw but the advice I got on this site recommended I pay $600-$800. The owner is firm at $1000. I appreciate all the advice. You guys are amazing. A part of me wants to wait until we finish our home refinance then get something like the Grizzly 0514. I like 3 hp a big table, cast iron wheels and trunion, foot brake. I have tried to learn everything I can about bandsaws the past month. 2k is about the max if I buy new.

Central New Jersey, from where you can drive anywhere!
    A 1954 Delta 20" band saw was my second restored woodworking machine. If the tires are good, restoring this saw to like new performance is easy and not terribly expensive. Bearings are wear items and must be treated with suspicion on any machine over ten years old. When I "restored" mine, I was working in a one car, seven foot ceiling garage. Because of this, my saw did not get the showroom restoration. There was no practical way to strip paint, prime and repaint it. As such, you could call this a "rat restore." However, the saw is tuned and runs as true as any 20" saw that you can buy new.

Making the saw pretty is what will suck up the most time in the restore. The table should clean up just fine. I am currently working on an early 20th century Crescent 8" jointer that sat outside only partially covered with a shower curtain in NJ. Humidity, rain and snow did their work. Is there some pitting in the tables? Of course. Well this affect the performance of the finished machine? I doubt it very much. The motor on that saw is fairly well sheltered and will probably run. Treat it like you would a car that has not been run for years: check for lubrication, inspect the power cord, plug and switch and see what happens. Plan on bearings just because now is a good time to do them.

Check that the upper and lower guides are there and complete. They will likely need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated before they move smoothly. Check that the table trunions are compete, unbroken and that the table tilts as it should. If anything is stiff, decide if it is due to damage or weathering. Weathering stiffness will clean up.

This saw is very adjustable and user friendly in the adjustment department. By the time you have gone through it and set it up, you will have learned more about your "new" saw than you would ever learn by reading the instruction manual or watching videos on YouTube.

Parts diagrams for this saw are available online. Restorations are viewable online. Parts are available online. Delta made quantities of this saw for years.

My saw is ugly. I now have the floor space and ceiling height to make it pretty. Will it work better with a new coat of paint? Are its feelings hurt because it is not painted as nicely as my other machines?

Bruce