Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scroll Chucks- Quality?

Scroll Chucks- Quality?

NewJaws3.jpgI have two SuperNova chucks.. an original and the 2. I have recently purchased a set of Nova Cole plates and they definitely do NOT line up properly.. They are un-numbered and supposed to fit on any position. I contacted Teknatool and they promptly sent me out a new set. Same thing, and tested on both chuck bodies. I've responded to CS with pictures and they are moving the problem up the line. Their CS is great IMO.

Now, the reason for the post.

Is there any difference between manufacturers of chucks? I know Robust has a good name and the price for their chucks are not much more than the NOVA's What I would like to find out from people who have BOTH in their shops.. what is your conclusion.
    Are the machining jobs and fit any better on the Robust? Are the "cole jaws" any better? The Nova cole jaws are not machined at all, which may be a problem. I know there is warpage in them as can be seen by putting a straight edge over them.

Any help appreciated. I hope the next comment is not a put off.. but...If you don't have both for comparison, your comments will likely not help me much

Thanks for any help

Bill
    Spinzwood in Santa Rosa, CA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Splaine; 02-28-2018 at 4:24 PM.

I was not aware that Robust made scroll chucks.

Nore was I, Dwight.. until my latest Woodcraft catalog came. Craft Supplies also sells them.

Just went to both the Robust Tools, and Craft Supply online catalog and don’t see anything.

Robust recommends Bull Dog chucks. I don’t think Brent is making a chuck.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Bull dog chucks are not the same quality as Vicmarc. Neither are the Grizzly copies. I have both along with 3 Vicmarcs. I have had to replace the pinion gears in both aftermarket chucks and the new gears did not fit properly and required filing to make them work. Bull dog told me they now have a new manufacturer and the quality should be better. For me, I'll stick with Vicmarc or ONeway. I never hear of a single problem with those chucks. I was teaching a class one time and they had Nova G3's. One lady kept having problems throwing the wood out of the chuck. I gave her my vicmarc and she didn't have a single problem for the rest of the week.

For what it's worth....I use the Jumbo Jaws from Oneway ... they line up perfectly and the rubber stops seem to be a lot better than the ones I see on Cole jaws..

Another Vicmarc chuck user here. I upgraded from Nova chucks some time ago and not looking back. They just perform flawlessly.

Doug

I don't have the "Robust" chuck, however I have several brands. I have the Barracuda 2, Barracuda 4, small PSI tommy bar, two Super Nova 2's, G3, and the Hurricane HTC 125. The Barracuda's were the first chucks I bought and only use them with speciality jaws, cole jaws on the Barracuda 4 and pin type on the Barracuda 2. The Barracuda cole jaws are machined and don't have the problem you have. The Barracuda jaws are serrated type and work, but I don't like the key system for them. I have not had any problem with my Nova chucks. They need a straight tendon when used in compression and a dovetail when used in expansion. I use the Nova's for work 12" or less. For larger than 12" I used the Hurricane chuck. It is suppose to be a knock off of the Vicmarc. I can't compare because I don't have a Vicmarc, however it is a very good chuck and I would buy it again. It uses dovetail in compression and expansion. If I put the wrong tendon profile (straight vs dovetail) for the jaws used, the work could come out of the chuck, but with the proper profile I have not had a problem with work coming out of any of my chucks. Since I set up my vacuum chuck I seldom use my cole jaws. I'm guessing you have looked to see if your cole jaws are flat and there is no protrusions around the mounting holes.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Bill, as for the chucks you have in hand.

I'm curious, did you check the grooves and mating lands in the chuck for junk, burrs, or flashing? If it's just one jaw out of whack can you tell if it is warped, or perhaps flat but just angled somewhat from the center to the outside? Perhaps you know another turner with the same Cole jaws you swap for comparison.

I have 16 NOVA chucks (four types some bought used, some new) and I haven't seen any jaw misalignment on any of them. I checked the one with Cole jaws (prob bought 10 years ago) and they align perfectly. I've been quite happy with the chucks, using some now for 15 years.

As for other brands, the Oneway and Vicmark have very good reputations. I believe they cost more than the Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Splaine View Post
    NewJaws3.jpg
    I have two SuperNova chucks.. an original and the 2. I have recently purchased a set of Nova Cole plates and they definitely do NOT line up properly.. They are un-numbered and supposed to fit on any position. I contacted Teknatool and they promptly sent me out a new set. Same thing, and tested on both chuck bodies. I've responded to CS with pictures and they are moving the problem up the line. Their CS is great IMO.

I have a Vicmark 120 and the large cole jaws. One of the 4 is significantly out of plane with the other three. Annoying but not serious enough to make a fuss or attempt to bend it without breaking it. I think the jaw warped during the casting process. No other issues with the chuck.

No problem with my Nova chuck cole jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Perhaps you know another turner with the same Cole jaws you swap for comparison.

I fit that, and I'm in Forestville This weekend is out, but next week is possible.
    If you go to Wine country Woodturners, You've seen if not talked to me. I'm bad with names in my old age. Hard drive is full, I have to forget something to remember something else.
    PM me

I’ve got 7 Nova chucks it was 8 but I sold one to a startup woodturner, plus 3 Vicmarcs, a 100, 120 and 150.
    I can’t really complain about the Nova chucks as they are decent chucks for the $$$ plus I have all of the jaws that fit these chucks (and when I say all I mean all) plus their jaws are all interchangeable between the Nova, Super Nova2 and the Nova Titan. But in comparison to the Vicmarc chucks, simply put the Vicmarcs are a far superior chuck but also cost much more $$$. For the Nova’s I have two sizes of Cole jaws and for the Vicmarcs I also have two sets of Cole jaws (I can hold up to an 18” bowl) But! I’ve never ever used any of these Cole jaws (yet) I may find a use for them one day but to date not. Actually that’s a bit of a lie as I believe I tried the Cole jaws maybe once or twice but very quickly learned that there are better (more secure) and quicker ways to reverse hold a bowl to finish the bottom of a bowl than having to use Cole jaws, so my Cole jaws just sit in the drawers and try to look impressive.
    Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much as to your Cole jaws being coplaner or out of sinc with each plate. (warpage as you refer too) wood is constantly moving and the face of the bowl that you wish to hold in your Cole jaws is most likely more out of true than the face of your Cole jaws that you are pressing it up against.
    Last edited by John Spitters; 03-02-2018 at 1:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    I fit that, and I'm in Forestville This weekend is out, but next week is possible.
    If you go to Wine country Woodturners, You've seen if not talked to me. I'm bad with names in my old age. Hard drive is full, I have to forget something to remember something else.
    PM me
    I don't know about Wine country turners. If John Jordan showed up it must have been the "other" John! I always use the "K" to try to keep things straight.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    PM me
    Hi Dane, I can put your face to a member.. but, I've not actually met you in person. I love the work you have displayed.. pretty awesome. I'm a relatively new guy.. Old, Bald, white beard.. and well built like you . PM coming if I can figure out how.. otherwise I'll try to find your name on the club roster and email you.