Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scroll Chucks- Quality?

Quote Originally Posted by John Spitters View Post
    Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much as to your Cole jaws being coplaner or out of sinc with each plate. (warpage as you refer too) wood is constantly moving and the face of the bowl that you wish to hold in your Cole jaws is most likely more out of true than the face of your Cole jaws that you are pressing it up against.
    Understand John. I just HATE to spend good money on something that is coming through with poor quality control I'd rather spend a few more $$ and get something good.

I was watching a video by a fellow who has a woodturning supply in NY, Long Island. He has the brand name Hurricane and was demo'ing the Hurricane scroll chuck and the Hurricane "cole" jaws. Those jaws were actually machined.. but, when I went to his sales page they were case as are mine... but video was a few years old. Probably quit machining to balance a budget for bean counters.

I don’t use Cole jaws but the Oneway Jumbo jaws, and no they are not the same.

Every bowl (well 99% of them) that are over 13” and I have returned, have been held in my Oneway Jumbo or Mega Jumbo jaws, and without the help of a tailstock.

You can find lots of pictures of my turnings on this forum.

The speed I use is usually 550rpm but sometimes double that (not often) it is the way the tool is used that makes the biggest difference, a pull cut will more likely pull the turning out of the chuck.

I use a cut that will push the turning into the chuck and take light cuts of course, yes newer turners do have catches, I basically don’t have them after 60 years of turning.

A quality chuck (Oneway) and the Jumbo jaws will give you the best there is IMO.

Regular hold in my Oneway Mega Jumbo jaws.
    Mega jumbo jaws holding.jpg

Returning an oval rim bowl while held in my Oneway Mega Jumbo jaws
    Oval rim returning.jpg

Finish turning the bottom of the 3 bowl turning, (try that in colejaws)
    3 bowl platter.jpg
    Have fun and take care

I agree with you Leo concerning the Oneway Jumbo Jaws.... I have never had a problem using them and don't use the tailstock for support either...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Splaine View Post
    Attachment 380129 I know Robust has a good name and the price for their chucks are not much more than the NOVA's What I would like to find out from people who have BOTH in their shops.. what is your conclusion.
    Are the machining jobs and fit any better on the Robust? A

Bill
    Spinzwood in Santa Rosa, CA
    I believe Bill is confusing Robust with Record. Both Woodcraft and CSUSA carry the Record Power chucks, a fairly new product to the US market. They are NOT made in the UK.
    Last edited by John Sanford; 03-07-2018 at 5:52 PM.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Could somebody who’s got the Supernova Chuck and a Vicmarc/Oneway chuck elaborate on what makes those chucks superior? I’m fairly new and only have Supernova2 chucks. So far I haven’t had any issues with them, but I also have no idea what I’m missing out on.

Jens, I am sure someone will chime in on your question. But, I enjoyed your classic example of the vortex hole we all fall into at one point or another -"So far I haven’t had any issues with them, but I also have no idea what I’m missing out on." The classic, yet flippant response usually is - "Just one tool away from greatness!"

As a very satisfied owner of 6 Nova chucks (nowhere near as many as JKJ!!!) I have found them to be adequate for whatever I turn, given the flexibility of various jaw sizes and configurations. That includes the 24" offset platters I turn on occasion. They are what I started out with, and while I have used VicMarc and OneWay chucks in teaching and demos, I haven't seen any reason to spend the extra money to get either. Perhaps it is only because they are what I am used to, or perhaps the others were poorly maintained, but I find my SN2 chucks to operate somewhat smoother than the other brands I have used.

That said, from my observations I think both the VicMarc and OneWay chucks are probably manufactured with consistent tolerances, and are an excellent piece of machinery. Some folks like the gripping profile/arrangement of the other brands better than the Nova. The VicMarc VM100, which is comparable in size to the SuperNova2, retails at around $210 with 2" jaws, whereas the SN2 can be purchased for around $120, depending on when and where purchased. The Nova Titan II ($210, or less) is comparable in size to the VicMarc VM120 ($260.) Nova does not have a chuck comparable to the VicMarc VM150, which is a brute of a chuck.

So, if what you have works for you, I doubt you would gain anything by changing brands. I prefer all of my chucks to use the same key, so I do not like the idea of having multiple brands. On the other hand, if you intend to turn massive pieces and have the lathe to support that, then one of the larger chucks available in other brands might be worth having.

Or.....perhaps owning a VicMarc or a OneWay would provide instant greatness!!

Left click my name for homepage link.

I use mostly Oneway Strongholds(5) and Oneway Talons(16). I started with the Oneways when I got my first Oneway lathe. I have the big boy 2436 and 2 of the 1224's. I have 5 lathes that are used for turning and one that is set up for buffing. It has taken me around 15 years to get to this point. Probably no more lathes in my future, but, who knows. Good luck as you slide further into the turning vortex.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jens Hoffmann View Post
    Could somebody who’s got the Supernova Chuck and a Vicmarc/Oneway chuck elaborate on what makes those chucks superior? I’m fairly new and only have Supernova2 chucks. So far I haven’t had any issues with them, but I also have no idea what I’m missing out on.
    Oneway chucks are better.jpg

Oneway chucks are best.jpg

Russ Fairfield's opinion.jpg

Some chucks do this.
    Chuck self destruct .jpg

Best bang for the buck chuck.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-08-2018 at 4:07 PM. Reason: added info
    Have fun and take care

Leo, good info, but all three brands have good specs - https://www.teknatool.com/product/no...ing-chuck-m33/

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Leo, good info, but all three brands have good specs - https://www.teknatool.com/product/no...ing-chuck-m33/
    There is Good-Better- Best John, did you read Russ’s statement, which is what mine is as well, hardened and ground surfaces you will find on the best ones, “Oneway Chucks”
    Have fun and take care

Leo, your Canadian loyalties are well placed. The OneWays are fine chucks. I guess my thoughts run more to functional differences rather than material specifications. I think all three brands have quality materials and machining and will last decades. There are differences in the direction the various brands tighten, the way the keys are shaped and used, and the configuration of the jaws. One important difference is the warranty. VicMarc is 12 months, OneWay is 2 years and Nova is 6 years full replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Leo, your Canadian loyalties are well placed. The OneWays are fine chucks. I guess my thoughts run more to functional differences rather than material specifications. I think all three brands have quality materials and machining and will last decades. There are differences in the direction the various brands tighten, the way the keys are shaped and used, and the configuration of the jaws. One important difference is the warranty. VicMarc is 12 months, OneWay is 2 years and Nova is 6 years full replacement.
    John warranty does not make for better quality, as for 6 years, my oldest chucks are more than 20 years old and will last many years yet, I have never needed to take any of my chucks apart, and as for the materials used, there is quite some difference in it, the difference in jaws is very important IMO, but then again if you are satisfied with your chucks that is fine, for those that have to decide which make to buy, the North American made Oneway is the better choice IMO.
    Have fun and take care

I hate to say it but I have over 30 chucks. Novas, Vicmarcs, Oneways, Axminster and Bulldog chucks. Chucks are no different than Lathes, lathe tools etc., everyone owns what they consider the best. It is always a status thing that they own the best. In my 17 years of turning I have seen reports of every lathe, chuck and tools as to something being wrong no matter the brand. Most of my chucks are Novas, not because they are better but because they are as good as any of the other chucks I have period! Most of the other chucks come in two sizes which means buying two sizes of the same jaws. All the jaws (except the three screw hole Titan jaws) fit all the Nova chucks. I do not pick a chuck out of the cabinet for the brand I choose for what jaws are on the chuck for the job I need it for each one. Consequently I will never wear out these chucks just because I have so many and they all get used. I have three sets of Cole jaws all of which fit and work without problem and I use them for specific pieces. If you have been using Nova chucks without a problem you are missing nothing not using other brands. Having used and using them daily there is no one that can convince me that one brand is better than the other as they all work. Just because one chuck costs twice as much as the other does not mean it is better. My 2¢.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    I hate to say it but I have over 30 chucks. Novas, Vicmarcs, Oneways, Axminster and Bulldog chucks. Chucks are no different than Lathes, lathe tools etc., everyone owns what they consider the best. It is always a status thing that they own the best.... Just because one chuck costs twice as much as the other does not mean it is better. My 2¢.
    Yeah, someone with more chucks than me! I can now say "Talk to Bill."

As for "everyone owns what they consider the best", with most things I think it might be "everyone believes what they spent their money on is the best", in other words we will typically defend our choices and our expenditures. What's the best lathe/chuck/gouge/sandpaper to get? The one I spent a lot of money on and if I didn't say so I would be admitting I didn't make the best choice. I think ego and the desire to be "right" plays a part and the more spent the stronger the desire. I smile when I read someone going over the top to defend their choice the way they would defend their honor. Yes, I always recommend Thompson tools because I like them (and because I have about 50 here?) but Sorby, Crown, Harbor Freight, and even old carbon steel gouges will not stop a woodturner.

Fortunately, as you well stated, nearly all of anything you buy these days will work and work well. Blaming the chuck for my deficiency would be like blaming a pencil for my test score.

I chose Novas for my next 15 chucks after I was satisfied with the first one. That all the jaws are interchangeable is a huge point for me. The inserts mean that when I kick off someone can sell the chucks regardless of the buyer's lathe. Your point about choosing from the cabinet for the jaws is the biggest thing for me as well. I keep several identical of my most-used jaws on chucks so I can leave partially completed things chucked while working on something else.

The girl who came yesterday evening started on her first lidded box, her third real project. It will stay in that chuck until she gets back, maybe not for a week or more. No problem! But yikes, she chose a design that needed swan-necked hollowing for her first try - the girl does nothing half-way!

Kristina_box_a01.jpg

JKJ

15. Design as well as materials come into consideration for chucks. I started out with a SuperNova, the original one. Then purchased 4 SuperNova2's...the interchangable jaws that JKJ mentions is the biggest reason why I stuck with the Nova lineup.

That being said, now that I have used some other brands, I find I like some features better than the Nova chucks. I have purchased 4 Hurricane chucks, because they are very well made, and for sure the insert design is far superior to the Nova inserts in my opinion. They have an insert like what is on the Oneway's which utilize a taper on the inside and 3 screws to hold in place. The inserts on the SuperNova2's that I have must have the little red leather washer to allow the set screw to hold in place, and they do come lose for sure, and need to be checked from time to time. I have had more wobble out of SuperNova2 design because of the insert not seating properly, and then having to go back and redo the whole thing to get it running true again.

I have never seen a better quality chuck than the Vicmarcs, but I don't own any of those. I have used a couple, and some Oneway Stronghold chucks, but for my own shop, chose the Hurricanes, because they are clones of the Vicmarcs, and have the insert design of the Oneway Strongholds.

The quality and function is there for sure with the Hurricane's and the value is there as well. I have had one of my HTC-100"s apart, and carefully inspected the inside, just to see how it was made. I find they are more stable in the slides than the Nova's I own, and have less play in the whole scroll mechanism. I have never had Hurricane jaws loosen on the hold,, but have many time had that happen with the Nova's. I always re-tighten the Novas after turning for a bit, but never have had to re-tighten the Hurricanes, although I did check to see if they were tight a number of times, just to be safe. I was pleasantly surprised by the consistent pressure of the jaws on the wood tenon.

I also prefer the key design on the Hurricanes and Nova's to the Oneway chucks. The simple square end key on the Hurricane's are so easy, and the ball ended allen wrench design of the Nova's are easier to use than my original SuperNova that uses a keyed wrench like the Oneway's... These I know are my own personal preferences, and the value I have for the quality in the Hurricane lineup is what makes me glad to recommend them. My last Hurricane HTC-100 4" chuck came with the set screw in the insert to lock it down, and Steve Fulgoni changed that factor on the inserts going forward. The set screw is also larger than the ones on the SuperNova2's.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!