Thread: Twin Screw Vise Question

Twin Screw Vise Question

I'm building a new workbench and have a Veritas Twin Screw vise for a front vice. It comes with with a chain designed for 16 7/8 inches between centers, but can be easily shortened. Because of space issues in my basement shop, the bench will be 5 1/2 feet long. I'm having trouble deciding two things - first if I should shorten the vise, and second how much length should I have outside the screws. I've never had a twin screw vise and wonder how often people use the jaws outside the screws.

I mostly make smaller projects and can't see dovetailing anything wider than 8-10 inches.

I would appreciate hearing the thoughts/experiences of the group.
    Rex

Hi Rex -

My bench is about the same size as yours and is depicted below. It's set as wide as it will go, and the chop is about 30" wide. If I do this again, I'll likely mount the twin screw on the end. It takes up enough of the one side that it can get in the way. If my bench was an 8 footer I might leave it alone. That said, it's a great vise. I'd rather have the extra clamping area and not need it than need it and not have it.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks Bob. I appreciate your advice.

Just a thought, but will you be able to access both sides of your bench? If it were me, that would have a little influence on my decision.

Yes, I can work all around the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Stahly View Post
    Yes, I can work all around the bench.
    In that case I think I’d leave it as is. My thinking if you couldn’t use the opposite edge of the bench was that you might shorten it some since the bar might be in the way/awkward for some operations.

from using a removable moxon style twin screw, I’d say that having some chop to work with past the screw makes the vise more versatile. It makes some area that functions like a leg vise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Hi Rex -

My bench is about the same size as yours and is depicted below. It's set as wide as it will go, and the chop is about 30" wide. If I do this again, I'll likely mount the twin screw on the end. It takes up enough of the one side that it can get in the way. If my bench was an 8 footer I might leave it alone. That said, it's a great vise. I'd rather have the extra clamping area and not need it than need it and not have it.

Beautiful bench you have attached to your twin-screw vise.

Very clean shop too.

Blog Entries
    You already have the "small" version. I would not make it smaller. That is just me; I do not know that anyone on here but you can decide how much room you want between screws. I use one front and tail.

TNNW End Vise (22).jpg

This pic is right after tail vise installation. Dog holes were added.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-02-2018 at 8:01 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    Beautiful bench you have attached to your twin-screw vise.

Very clean shop too.
    Thanks. That photo was taken when I finished my bench and as I was assembling a work area in the basement of our newly purchased home. It's not quite as tidy any more
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

My bench is about 7' long, if I were to do it again, I think I would use the twin screw as an end vise. But it works well as a front vise.

As to length of jaws beyond the screws, I think 5-6" is a good. However, take this from me, be sure that your handle when horizontal doesn't extend beyond the end of the bench.
    It's not visible in the picture, but I have to loosen and move the handle more often than I care to.

20170331_115604.jpg

Good advice. Thanks

I have my Twin Screw across the end of my bench and it works out great.

But it seemed a bit light duty and clunky so I built a much better version. Still put it across the end of the bench. 3 to 4" extension past the screws works well.

I have it mounted at the end, with 13-7/8" between the centers (45 links).

DSC_0916a.jpg

As you can see, it is about as little as it would go without shortening bars. Width of my bench is 22-10/16" and after screws I have around 3-1/2". No regrets so far, except I wish I would taper jaw a bit more (have around 1 degree only and 2 degree is recommended). Though, it doesn't rack vertically much because I have put screws into plastic tubes (30 mm tube used for routing waste water from sink in my area). Tubes also keep screws free of dust (at least hidden part of them). This is how it looks from underside:

DSC_0918a.jpg

I still want to add removable moxon vise on top of my bench. Because it also brings work higher 4" and better for sawing dovetails and such.

I did build a prototype first, by using 1-3/4 thick construction pine as two jaws. It helped a lot to understand what to do and what not to do when installing it on the bench.