Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta contractor saw purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    I would keep my eyes open for cast iron table extensions. Not a fan of the stamped steel. Other than that it looks like you got a nice saw at a great price.
    I found a few but people want $70 for a single 8” extension wing. I’d rather buy the whole saw for the table top for less than $50 and get 20” of width assuming the holes line up. I can add framing below to take some stress off the bolts. Craftsman 113 saws are generally cheaper than the delta so it would be good if they stare the same bolt locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuong Nguyen View Post
    I found a few but people want $70 for a single 8” extension wing. I’d rather buy the whole saw for the table top for less than $50 and get 20” of width assuming the holes line up. I can add framing below to take some stress off the bolts. Craftsman 113 saws are generally cheaper than the delta so it would be good if they stare the same bolt locations.
    I doubt the bolt patterns line up. Different manufacturers, but you can always try. It's doable even if the holes don't align....just more work.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Even if the bolt patterns lined up, if the table holes are threaded the bolt size & pitch would need to be identical. Actually, one may have to be right hand threads and the other left hand?? i'm trying to think through that...need someone smarter. At any rate, drilling would likely be involved!!
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Even if the bolt patterns lined up, if the table holes are threaded the bolt size & pitch would need to be identical. Actually, one may have to be right hand threads and the other left hand?? i'm trying to think through that...need someone smarter. At any rate, drilling would likely be involved!!
    earl
    Yes, I realized this after thinking about it. I could drill some holes in some flat irons and use the fence guide rails hole on the front and back or just lie them on some wooden supports.

Another option would be to glue two hardwood tables or pieces of plywood together and make a cutout for a single table top and not use the extension wings at all.

I’ll have think about it some more.

Yes, I realized this after thinking about it. I could drill some holes in some flat irons and use the fence guide rails hole on the front and back or just lie them on some wooden supports.

Another option would be to glue two hardwood tables or pieces of plywood together and make a cutout for a single table top and not use the extension wings at all.

I’ll have think about it some more.
    ...Or align the extensions and c-clamp them together from underneath.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

54984EA3-9ED8-4789-BFA1-CAD51789AFF4.jpg

I finally put this so I together. I also built a rolling stand for it. They saw cuts nice but I am definitely not a fan of the steell wings. They don’t work well with the Unifence because they are not completely flat. Do you know if a Biesemeyer would work better? I built a small wood pad to make the fence Ride a little smoother across the wing. I will need to build a flat bench at some point.

When I had that same model contractor's saw, I replaced the stamped steel wings with cast iron wings.Look on e-Bay, Craig's list, Old Woodworking Machines classifieds -- http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=...2eccd9a8026235 -- for a set. They definitely dampen any vibration

54984EA3-9ED8-4789-BFA1-CAD51789AFF4.jpg

I finally put this so I together. I also built a rolling stand for it. They saw cuts nice but I am definitely not a fan of the steell wings. They don’t work well with the Unifence because they are not completely flat. Do you know if a Biesemeyer would work better? I built a small wood pad to make the fence Ride a little smoother across the wing. I will need to build a flat bench at some point.
    The Biesemeyer rides on the table surface, so won't do well with an uneven surface unless you were to add some sort of a foot on the back rail for the fence to ride on. You could add a cast iron wing for probably around $100 each....less for used. Or you could build a smooth extension table to replace the steel wing(s).

Last edited by scott spencer; 03-16-2018 at 7:19 PM.