Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta contractor saw purchase

Delta contractor saw purchase

Hi all,

I am looking at a used Delta Contractor saw (34-444, 92C17848 SN) to replace my current Dewalt job site saw for home renovation projects.

I was able to talk the seller down to $250 for the saw with a Unifence (6 ft rail, 32? or 42? inch fence). Is this a good price and what should I be looking for when I go test it out?

I'll be checking for abor/blade wobble, rust, smoothness of fence and locking, blade rise and tilt wheels, vibrations, cracks

Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks for the help.

I would just buy it at that price. The fence alone is worth that much. I have bought and sold/given away at least 4 of these saws and the only thing I have ever done besides clean up, lubricate ,and adjust is arbor bearings. I have replaced switches and drive belts also.Mike.

VERY good saw, GREAT fence. Very good price. As long as nothing is busted, I would go for it.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Thanks for the advice guys. It looks like a no brainer decision. I just hope he doesn't sell it before I see it this weekend.

I hope you are able to obtain this saw!

Back in 1980, I bought a 34-444 contractor's saw. Believe the motor was either a 1.5 or 1.75 HP, dual voltage. Later I purchased a Uni-fence and changed the motor 220v. The ol' 34-444 contractor's saw was a real work horse and never let me down! Ran much better when changed to 220v. When I purchased a Uni-saw in 1987, I mounted the Uni-fence on it. It is a great fence with its high and low fence settings. I kept the fence at the low fence settings -- more room for my hand/push sticks between the fence and the blade -- for 98% of the my work.

For ease of attaching jigs to the Uni-fence, I opted for the Uni-T-Fence accessory form Peachtree -- https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html

That model is very well regarded. If you find that aligning the blade to the miter slot is difficult, you might find PALS useful. As Mike said, the fence alone is worth $250.

I picked up the saw today. It’s in nice condition. Was able to get the saw with link belt, Unifence with 60” and 83” guide rails and Incra miter gauge for $300. I think I got a pretty good deal. I hope to put it together tonigh.

Blog Entries
    You need to make a push stick to rip with that saw.

Don't ask me how I know?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    You need to make a push stick to rip with that saw.

Don't ask me how I know?

I plan on creating a splitter for it. I already have plenty of push sticks.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you got a good deal..... Enjoy
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

You did well!
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I own that same saw with the Biesemeyer fence and an Incra HD1000 miter gauge. It's a nice tool.
    You did well!

I'd like to suggest that you consider two add-ons. First, a thin kerf blade. You'll get a little more "ooomph" out of the saw with a thin kerf blade. I use a Forrest Woodworker II. Second, buy an aftermarket blade guard. I bought a Shark Guard from Lee Styron. It's reasonably priced and works very well. Here's a link.

Congratulations!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 03-02-2018 at 9:28 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Does anyone know if I can attach two Delta contractor saw table tops side by side for a bench top? Can a craftsman 113 series table top bolt directly to a delta 34-xx table? it's easier and cheaper to find these vs cast iron extension wings.

Thanks.

I would keep my eyes open for cast iron table extensions. Not a fan of the stamped steel. Other than that it looks like you got a nice saw at a great price.